Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Boycott Esso - A Solution??

I've thought about this a bit, and discussed it with a few people, who seem to agree if it could be organized, it would probably work. We all know that gas is being sold at prices well above market value right now, and basically the gas companies are f***ing us over. They are doing it simply because of our fears, and because they can.

If we could get everyone to boycott a single gas company (my pick is Esso due to claims that it is the #1 global warmer in the world), that company would be forced to reduce its prices in order to regain business. Everyone should refuse to buy gas at this company until it lowers prices. Repeat until we are satisfied.

So is this a feasible solution? What are the problems with it, and can they be worked around? How would this be organized?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Boycott Esso - A Solution??

If there is no 'Esso' in my area, can I boycott a random mom n' pop grocery store? I know those fuckers have a hand in this.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:54 PM

Esso is not very prevalent in the U.S., but I like your idea. Perhaps a mass e-mail is in order? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2005, 11:55 PM

So you want to put every oil company in the US out of business? Do you think that is a really good idea? Or do you think that we need that gas companies as much as they need us?

Moreover, putting ESSO out of business will only help there competitors and put control of more oil in fewer individual hands. Pushing it closer to a monopoly situation, driving up prices. Keeping more competitors selling oil/gas helps keep prices low/lower. If oil was really expensive we would be using vegtable oil or natural gas to power our cars. We use gas because compared to our alternates it is "cheap".
Old 09-04-2005, 12:00 AM

Isn't Esso the old Exxon?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:02 AM

You misunderstand. I don't want to put any of the companies out of business. I'm suggesting boycott a company until they lower their prices, and after this of course we move to that company for our gas needs. Other companies will then be forced to lower their prices to compete.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:05 AM

didnt they do this in the 70's?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
didnt they do this in the 70's?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was before I was born. Anyone have information on this? I'm curious.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Esso is not very prevalent in the U.S., but I like your idea. Perhaps a mass e-mail is in order? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
What a great idea. Let me look in my inbox, i'm pretty sure i've got one we can just cut and paste. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though my mom sent me one of these last year.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What a great idea. Let me look in my inbox, i'm pretty sure i've got one we can just cut and paste. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though my mom sent me one of these last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, except I think it needs more publicity than just emails, because most people just delete those before they even read them, or don't pay attention when they do. Anyone work for any company or organization that spreads information to the masses? I'm looking at you bison.

Seriously though, if this could get some really good media coverage, I think it might work.