Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Blame the French! (Napoleon?)

Wasn't it Napoleon who founded New Orleans? Was it his idea to build it below sea level by the ocean or was that a guy from the 1900s who invented a pumping system (forgot his name)?

I think Ol' Nappy founded it but not where the main city is now. Wasn't there enough room to build on land ABOVE sea level? Or did it just slowly sink because of the mass of heavy buildings?

It's sad that so many pepole have to suffer and be victims of the ill-minded decision of one person.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Blame the French! (Napoleon?)

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't it Napoleon who founded New Orleans? Was it his idea to build it below sea level by the ocean or was that a guy from the 1900s who invented a pumping system (forgot his name)?

I think Ol' Nappy founded it but not where the main city is now. Wasn't there enough room to build on land ABOVE sea level? Or did it just slowly sink because of the mass of heavy buildings?

It's sad that so many pepole have to suffer and be victims of the ill-minded decision of one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

The facts are irrelevant; this is so conceptually wrong and retarded.

Also, did we really need another thread?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:49 AM

here's the problem -

it's a flood plain - maybe it was above level once, but of course, people don't want to be flooded, so they build levies -

Levies channel water upwards, so you must build them fairly high - meanwhile, the flood plain starts to settle because it's loose soil from years of being flooded, so it starts to drop in elevation -

Happens in China, the Midwest - but this may be the biggest urban center I'm aware of - not counting the Netherlands (who, BTW, are laughing at our ill-prepared dikes and levees - they've got their country safe and sound for a hundred more yrs)

RB
Old 09-02-2005, 03:56 AM

Louisiana officials had a solid two days to get people out before the storm hit. That was the big failure.

You evacuate everybody except the fools who pull a gun and say "I'm staying". And you are allowed to count those few fools as voluntary suicides.

Gov. Blanco dropped the ball here big time. She pulled off one of the deadliest blunders of all time.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:56 AM

Yes I saw a thing on the history channel about the never ending struggle to keep the netherlands dry. They had a levee break some time ago, big mess.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:54 AM

Just what are the French good for anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take "flaming dog poo and the human response for 100"

edit: not even close to the real category name
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are very talented.

The fastest animal on earth is a Frenchman running from a capgun.

The strongest forces created by a human are generated when trying to pull a Frenchman off his sister.

First sonic boom was created by a Frenchman raising his arms when surrendering to Germans.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand so on.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not stepping on that land mine.