Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Probability for dummies

I was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit. I am getting more and more interested in statistical/mathmatical poker. However, I do not have a strong basis in math. I was wondering if there are any good posts/books/websites that could give me the tools to figure out some of the questions that I have running around in my head. For example I would like to know how to figure out the chances of an over card hitting on the flop when I am holding Jacks. Up to this point I have simply memorized pot odds and I know roughly what the chances are of filling my gutshot straight/flush draw or whatever. I just would like the mathmatical tools to do the calculations myself. Please keep in mind that I played college football and that I dont have a strong base in math.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Probability for dummies

read theory of poker and small stakes hold em
Old 09-02-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
read theory of poker and small stakes hold em

[/ QUOTE ]

Do those books really teach you how to calculate odds? I dont remember anything like that at all.

If you wanna learn some basic probability then get an intro to probability book. The first few chapters teach you plenty.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:11 AM

Look on Amazon for Mike Petriv's Holdem Odds Book. I don't know if this is the best one out there, but its pretty basic and will give you a good foundation for calculating odds.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:13 AM

A while ago, someone posted a link to an Intro to Probability text (not just poker) that is pretty useful. For convenience, I posted it on my website. It's a long read and covers some things that will probably never be applied to poker, but it's a solid text. All copyrights, etc. to the authors, etc. etc.

Intro To Probability