Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 05:35 PM

Default 8th place

Well I've decided to start posting hands where I bust out in 8, 9 or 10th where I feel I might have made the wrong move..

So here goes...
Level 3 I get delt KQo in the SB with a stack of 650 after posting. Folded around to the Button who raises to 175. He seems reasonable, I have no real reads on him. I havent seen him do anything weird or stupid.

Anyways.. I push, BB folds, Button calls with AK.

I'm out in 8th.

Is this a bad push? Too early/too aggressive?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: 8th place

FWIW I think this is fine

Edit: I would like to have a read most of the time first, but it looks like a random button raise, he could have a lot of things
Old 09-01-2005, 05:39 PM

I think its still too early for a move like this with qk...
Old 09-01-2005, 05:40 PM

but im a very conservative player until 6 left, if this is your style and it usually works, it might not be a bad play. I dont think its a big enough raise though to make him lay down a decent hand very often, when he does call youre almost always going to be behind or a coin flip.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 PM

No way I make that push. KQo is just not that good of a hand. You would need a really good read on the guy (which you obviously didn't have) to make that push worthwhile, IMO.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think its a big enough raise though to make him lay down a decent hand very often, when he does call youre almost always going to be behind or a coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I agree w/ this analysis. I fold here and wait for a better time (like when there are a few limpers and a push could get them all to fold, for example).
Old 09-01-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but im a very conservative player until 6 left, if this is your style and it usually works, it might not be a bad play. I dont think its a big enough raise though to make him lay down a decent hand very often, when he does call youre almost always going to be behind or a coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no style(i think lol), as I am fairly new to SnG's & am still figureing everything out. I figured this is a simple blind steal with a marginal hand like A9 or QJ or trash enough to make a push here a good play. I dont think I'm called/dominated enough to make this a bad play. Of coarse I could be completely wrong here.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no style(i think lol), as I am fairly new to SnG's & am still figureing everything out. I figured this is a simple blind steal with a marginal hand like A9 or QJ or trash enough to make a push here a good play. I dont think I'm called/dominated enough to make this a bad play. Of coarse I could be completely wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

w/ no read on someone, a raise to t175 on 25/50 generally means a stronger hand than your listed range IMO, most of the time it is something like AK-A9, pok pair, i.e. hands that are ahead of you and, while they might muck, will call too often (ESPECIALLY at lower buy-ins) to make this +EV. of course, that is just my $0.02
Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said it's read dependant. I don't hate it readless, it's very close readless IMO.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:00 PM

I would almost always fold this (even in an 8000 chips game) dont post results next time though, you usually get better responses.