Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 02:50 PM

Default 10/20, AK HUGE family pot; find the mistake!

SB is a TAG
BB and Button are LAGs

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (18 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 10/20, AK HUGE family pot; find the mistake!

Don't cap preflop? Too many opponents, unsuited hand.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't see what else you would have done, except maybe wait until the turn to raise. If you do that, people are getting 6.5:1 on their call, which is enough to knock out a gutshot or crappy pair maybe. SB hanging around after 3-betting preflop is a little worrisome with only tptk, but what are you going to do? He doesn't always have a set.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't cap preflop? Too many opponents, unsuited hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, preflop is standard. I have an equity edge here.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see what else you would have done, except maybe wait until the turn to raise. If you do that, people are getting 6.5:1 on their call, which is enough to knock out a gutshot or crappy pair maybe. SB hanging around after 3-betting preflop is a little worrisome with only tptk, but what are you going to do? He doesn't always have a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about waiting to the turn to raise, but I think raising the flop is better. I don't want to see a 3-bet on the turn either.

I actually think I should have checked the river. Nobody obviously has a straight, I would have heard from them on the turn for sure. But I think two pair is very likely for someone on this coordinated board. Also, what could the TAG have? I think the TAG is very likely to have AK also. He 3-bet preflop and bet the flop, but slowed down after the raise and 3-bet on the flop.

Perhaps I am results oriented here. Not sure, perhaps the hand is fine. (TAG showed AK and BB showed Q9)
Old 08-31-2005, 04:20 PM

I like waiting for the turn to raise. There's too many gutshot possibilities on that flop and with the monstrous pot you're giving those guys odds to their 4 outer on both flop and the turn. If you wait to raise a turn blank, they can't profitably draw out on the river card.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:23 PM

Well-played all around.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM

This looks picture perfect to me. I think an interesting question is what our action is if we get c/red on the river.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This looks picture perfect to me. I think an interesting question is what our action is if we get c/red on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the risk of getting ch/r on the river is very very very small. The river is a completely harmless card, if they had a very good hand they would have raised the turn in this monster pot.

Getting ch/r on the river would look very suspicious and I guess I would call. Especially if the action is bet, raise, fold or bet fold raise (nobody called before the raise).
Old 08-31-2005, 08:19 PM

This is somewhat results oriented, but if you put the original flop bettor on AK, an advantage of waiting for the turn to raise is he might release it, fearing a monster.