Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 PM

Default How long will SNG\'s stay REALLY profitable?

This has probably been spoken about before, but how long is it before SNG's start become a lot tougher even at the lower limits.

I've heard posters mention in the past that on the 109's and the 215's that it is already really tough to get any sort of edge as most people know how to play the bubble near perfectly, and wont make any really stupid moves before hand for example with top pair no kicker. My worry is that sooner or later all the donks playing the 11's to 55's will wake up and smell the coffee and learn how easy SNG's really are if they could just discipline themselves. Then i'll have to go back to learning NL cash games [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Does anyone think that SNG's will still be as easy as they are now in 5 years time, or even 3 years? I really hope they will be, but not sure.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: How long will SNG\'s stay REALLY profitable?

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard posters mention in the past that on the 109's and the 215's that it is already really tough to get any sort of edge as most people know how to play the bubble near perfectly

[/ QUOTE ]

The key then is to extract EV from elsewhere in the tourney as well. It just takes some study and practice to princples of mahematically correct bubble play. Playing well early on in the tourney is much tougher to learn, in my opinion, or at least more difficult than using a basic study regimen.

Just think what it'd be like if you knew how to play well early on, AND played with people who made significant errors around the bubble. You'd be a beast.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My worry is that sooner or later all the donks playing the 11's to 55's will wake up and smell the coffee and learn how easy SNG's really are if they could just discipline themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

There will always be newbies and recreational players. How and why exactly would all or even most of the donks suddenly become smart enough to start figuring out how to play correctly? More likely they'll go broke, stop playing poker and think that Partypoker is rigged. Then another donk comes to fill their place.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard posters mention in the past that on the 109's and the 215's that it is already really tough to get any sort of edge as most people know how to play the bubble near perfectly, and wont make any really stupid moves before hand for example with top pair no kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

blah, there are edges in the 215s. there are edges in the 1ks, and there are edges in the 5ks. they're just harder games than the games belwo them, fine. yes, the games are hard, but not even the average player at the 200s plays the bubble near perfectly.

[ QUOTE ]
My worry is that sooner or later all the donks playing the 11's to 55's will wake up and smell the coffee and learn how easy SNG's really are if they could just discipline themselves. Then i'll have to go back to learning NL cash games [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

once upon a time, i was a "donk" too i guess. it was some time before i played my first sng. get the point? there's always new donks coming in to the system populating all the stakes levels. worrying about when the games, particularly the sngs dry up because of no new money entering the system is more interesting than wondering when the people who play the 11s will all instantly wisen up and start playing at the quality of play as the 215s. the people that learn the things that you are talking about (and side note, just learning how to play the bubble isn't enough really to do well at the higher stakes games) are the people that move up stakes and become winners at higher stakes. individuals getting better is one thing, the whole world doesn't one day wake up and play great sng poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think that SNG's will still be as easy as they are now in 5 years time, or even 3 years? I really hope they will be, but not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno what i think about these games in 3 or 5 years. i will likely not be playing them, so i don't think about it.

citanul
Old 08-30-2005, 11:47 PM

There's always going to be plenty of people who won't bother to read, study, or learn from their mistakes. So as long as you have some intelligence and are open minded, there is money to be made. There are some very good players in the 109s, but plenty of others that are very bad.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:52 AM

"the whole world doesn't one day wake up and play great sng poker."

Most people are too lazy to put in the effort.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:54 AM

So how do you play the bubble perfectly?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i just get [censored] up and use the slider.

citanul
Old 08-31-2005, 01:57 AM

Until 10/04/2005.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect pushing and calling based on yer amazing ability to put someone on a range. holla