Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 04:55 AM

Default Custom Fitted Golf Clubs

I am revamping my entire golf set. I was wondering if getting my clubs custom fit was worth while. If so, do you have to buy clubs first and then get them custom fit - or do you have them made for you after they take your specifications?

I am a decent player. Two years ago, I played 15 tournaments with a scoring average of 77. Right now, I average are 80-81. So, I'm good but not great. Not sure if that matters.

Also how much does it cost? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Custom Fitted Golf Clubs

Go do it immediately. Get fitted by a pro. You get fitted and they order the clubs. Last year I finally did it and got a set of Pings to replace my old Hogans. The difference was readily apparent. I probably play about as well as you do, maybe a shade worse. My best last year was 2-over for 18 on a not too hard course. I can play in the low 80's and some of the time in the 70's. So I don't play very well, but want to at least get back to where I used to be. (Which still wasn't too good.) And the difference custom fit irons made for me was obvious. You won't suddenly start shooting way lower scores, but your shots will be more consistent and have better flight characteristics.

And don't just get measured, like the chart Ping has in the magazines. That won't work. You need someone there with an impact board and stuff to find what fits you. The price I paid was not very much higher than prices I saw for the same clubs off the internet. So getting fit was a no-brainer. And it only took a couple weeks for the Pings to arrive. I don't know about other companies. I am going to get fit for woods and maybe a putter in the future. I don't intend to ever spend any serious money for an off the rack club again.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:41 PM

Wow....I will definitely do that. Did you go to your local club...or to a fitting company?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:33 PM

I decided I wanted Pings and started looking around. I saw a place was doing a demo day with club fitting. It was a driving range in another town that has teaching pros. They did the fitting on the range. What you need is a dealer for the kind of clubs you want who has the big fitting cart with a variety of lengths and lies. They watch your swing and tape up demo clubs you hit off an impact board to observe where the ball is hitting and how the sole of the club is hitting the ground. They also should measure your clubhead speed and get an idea of the shafts you need. I also had slightly undersize grips put on. I need to contact the company soon to make sure I can get replacements the same size. I think you can get fit by a pro who could order different brands, but he has to be careful to match your specs to the clubs, i.e. a 2 degree upright Ping might be different from a 2 degree upright Titleist. I don't know. It turned out I needed clubs a half inch longer than standard and a bit upright. I would have guessed I needed shorter and flatter. Shows what I know. I think the course I am joining this year fits Ping woods. So I might get the pro to fit me. I want to start working with the same pro who will fit the clubs anyway, so I might get somebody who really knows how I hit it to give advice. The latest thing for woods is the launch monitor. I don't know if those are very available. But with the driver you want to match up your swing to a club that gives you the right launch angle and good ball speed. You can pick up a lot of yardage that way. Given how short and crooked I hit it I need all the help I can get. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 07:50 PM

It may sound crazy but have them fit you for a putter too. They can monitor your putts if you pull, push, add weight, etc.

Paul
Old 04-15-2003, 08:00 PM

Yes,
Definitely investigate club fitting.

I found, by making clubs with Golfsmith parts, that I hit most consistently with clubs that are 2 full inches longer than current standard... or 3 inches longer than "traditional".

That is a 40" 5 iron. Yet the "wrist ruler" shows I should be able to use the standard 38" 5 iron! (I'm 6 foot even).

Turns out I'm most consistent standing a little straighter up.

I found this out when I was using a set of late 50's early 60's Macgregor forged blades. I actually hit better with the butt of the irons in the palm of my left hand! By being able to stand more comfortably, my variance went down.

Go figure.

Guess that would make me like Hogan, a flatter swinger than the current Jack Nickluas vertical swing style.

Anyways, just my opinion form empirical experiments.

Sincerely,
AA
Old 04-15-2003, 09:06 PM

the other side of the coin is try and sell them if you dont like them in a year or two. plus if the fitter guy doesnt know what he is doing you end up much worse off than something fairly standard. most times changing clubs is all in your mind anyway. so if special sets make a person happy so be it. gettin fit for a putter. thats sick. you guys have lost it. you grab a bunch of putters off the pros rack and try them out till you find one that you like. most players change putters more often than their underware.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:37 PM

Would you really think I lost it if I told you I have given a little thought to determining the balance point on each individual ball (see Dave Pelz's putting book) to help my putting? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

P.S. I have used the same putter for over 20 years, although I have a few others about.

P.P.S. Yeah, I will probably get fit for a putter this season or next. So I guess I have lost it.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:43 AM

JV,
Getting fit can be a very important part of your golf game, you should get fit, don't buy the clubs until you get fit, then order them. You don't buy a pair of slacks off the rack at Nordstrom, do you? you have them altered, same with your new clubs. Get fit, make sure it is by someone who fits the clubs you want, go to the website of the clubs you want, and look for fitters in your area, if not PM me I can find you someone near you.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:16 AM

Thanks alot everyone....you've all been a big help.