Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 04:19 PM

Default On the Button with K9o

Villain seems like a solid player. I've been a bit active at the table lately and I've also shown I am willing to call down lightly (for better or worse). Is this a good line to take here? I feel I'm often lost in stealing situations (both stealing and defending).

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: On the Button with K9o

there are 3 options:
1. raise the flop and call down if 3-bet
2. call the flop and raise the turn
3. call to the river where you'll raise

often I'll take #2 but here you're against A high a lot and we don't want that folding. #3 usually isn't the best play except against a LAG because too often a worse hand check-calls. I like your play here because it keeps A high in. it strings him along for one bet at a time
Old 08-30-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are 3 options:

often I'll take #2 but here you're against A high a lot and we don't want that folding. #3 usually isn't the best play except against a LAG because too often a worse hand check-calls. I like your play here because it keeps A high in. it strings him along for one bet at a time

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a 4th option. Call on all streets, bet if checked to.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are 3 options:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's ahead far too often to just call. and when he's ahead he gets paid off by plenty of worse hands.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are 3 options:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's ahead far too often to just call. and when he's ahead he gets paid off by plenty of worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think he's ahead often here and if you raise the flop you are giving him a chance to get off cheaply but check/folding the turn after just calling your raise. he can also check raise you on the turn whenver he has you beat.

I do use other plays here and think that I would most often raise the flop as hero did but I think calling down has merit.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are 3 options:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think he's ahead often here and if you raise the flop you are giving him a chance to get off cheaply but check/folding the turn after just calling your raise. he can also check raise you on the turn whenver he has you beat.

I do use other plays here and think that I would most often raise the flop as hero did but I think calling down has merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok I was thinking of "call down" as a generic play. you're saying it's best to call the flop and turn to not induce a fold, then call the river since it's less likely he's betting a worse hand. that makes sense. basically the same as my #3 except you don't feel a river raise will be profitable
Old 08-30-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are 3 options:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok I was thinking of "call down" as a generic play. you're saying it's best to call the flop and turn to not induce a fold, then call the river since it's less likely he's betting a worse hand. that makes sense. basically the same as my #3 except you don't feel a river raise will be profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If our TAG opponent bets again on the river he is often going to have a better king or be on a bluff or a thin value bet with an underpair. I'm not sure we are going to get called enough by worse hands to make it the best play. I know that when I have tried it it often fails.

I look at this hand and think to myself, "If one bet goes in on every street against a TAG I'm happy."

I view these types of hands as good times to vary my play against thinking opponents. Obviously against other opponents I would be willing to go to war on the flop. And some guys are best to raise on the turn.