Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Interesting bubble choice

10+1 SNG on Party, Blinds are 100/200. 4 players left. This is from memory, but close, values are after posting the blinds.

SB T250<-- left the tourney, auto-folds every hand.
BB T2500
Hero T950
UTG+1 T4000

Hero is dealt AA and ???

If I min-raise, I'm unlikely to steal the blinds. If I push and lose, I kick myself because I know the SB is going to fold out and very likely put me into 3rd. Even if the SB wins his showdown when the SB comes to him again he'll only have 100 chips so he'll be all in again on the BB as well.

Do you fold AA preflop? If I bet 2-3x the blinds and get a call, what then? Any bet post flop will get called and I risk busting out in 4th when 3rd is all but a lock.

I ended up pushing and getting the blinds, but I wonder if in hindsight that was the right thing to do.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Interesting bubble choice

Bust or not...you can't pass up on this chance to get 'back in the hunt'. Actually, I wouldn't pass on any 'monster' here (AA-QQ, AK, etc.). Your willingness to push despite SB should be well respected. Not to mention you still have FE over BB.

AND...if bigstack KNOWS that you KNOW that they should "respect" your push - thus KNOWING that you might actually be pushing anything...you might just get called by his KJ or such [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM

I would push this every time. You are an overwhelming favorite over the range of hands that call you. If you somehow get busted, oh well. Most times you win the blinds or double up.

This is the time to build chips and play for more than 3rd.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM

I push this. if you are on a site where the Vacant seat doesn't even get to see a flop with his last chips, I still push it, although I feel it may be a little closer than everyone else is going to say it is [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

The difference between this and "normal" posts like this is that you are guaranteed third place. However, there are only two other opponents who can call you so you will be favourite even if both call.

Lori
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bust or not...you can't pass up on this chance to get 'back in the hunt'. Actually, I wouldn't pass on any 'monster' here (AA-QQ, AK, etc.). Your willingness to push despite SB should be well respected. Not to mention you still have FE over BB.

AND...if bigstack KNOWS that you KNOW that they should "respect" your push - thus KNOWING that you might actually be pushing anything...you might just get called by his KJ or such [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, he knows that I know that he knows...etc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

My big concern here is the BB can call my push for 700 and still have enough chips to take 3rd if he loses. He knows that, I know that. Both other players also know if they take me out, they've locked up 1st and 2nd.

Given 2nd place wasn't that many more chips than me, I think pushing was good. Equity for 2nd and some towards 1st was probably valuable. It was a really hard choice though. If I'd busted out and left a ghost to take 3rd...well, I'd feel pretty damn lame.

"How'd you do?"
"I lost to a dead guy..."
Old 08-30-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push this. if you are on a site where the Vacant seat doesn't even get to see a flop with his last chips

[/ QUOTE ]

It's party (eurobet). The ghost gets to have a real showdown.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

AND...if bigstack KNOWS that you KNOW that they should "respect" your push -

[/ QUOTE ]

you would be surprised; but yes I would push in this situation. Also it depends on the buy-in, reads on opponents left as well.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Man I'm glad I've never been in this spot before.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I'm glad I've never been in this spot before.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is I muttered to myself "damn, I'm folding everything!" Then of course, I get AA...
Old 08-30-2005, 01:07 PM

Is taking 3rd really that important to you?

BTW, what if you fold this and the vacant guy suddenly comes back this hand and doubles up?