Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 AM

Default I wish I could believe

...in a religion sometimes. I've now come to the point in my knowledge that it is not possible for me to believe anymore, but sometimes I wish I could. To everyone who disagrees with the basic point of this post, I envy you, sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Shooby
Old 08-30-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: I wish I could believe

[ QUOTE ]
...in a religion sometimes. I've now come to the point in my knowledge that it is not possible for me to believe anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so young and cute.

*koo-chee-koo!* [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 08:45 AM

"I've now come to the point in my knowledge that it is not possible for me to believe anymore, but sometimes I wish I could."

So you're too smart for religion? You know all the arguments, and God just can't fit into any of them?

Care to enlighten anyone else reading this who might truly be searching?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I've now come to the point in my knowledge that it is not possible for me to believe anymore, but sometimes I wish I could."

So you're too smart for religion? You know all the arguments, and God just can't fit into any of them?

Care to enlighten anyone else reading this who might truly be searching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every week I get two pleasant and polite fellows knock on my door and try to get me come to some church or other. Every week I tell them the same thing, I don't believe in god, I say 'Lets do a deal, don't try to convert me and I won't try to convert you'. Yet every week they come again, they are basically inoffensive so I don't mind, I think of them as mice who get the electric shock but keep coming back for the cheese anyway.

Its impossible to have a conversation with people who believe in god about his/its non existence, It would be like banging your head against a wall, and as mean and pointless as telling a 3 year old there is no Santa.

Mack
Old 08-30-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...in a religion sometimes. I've now come to the point in my knowledge that it is not possible for me to believe anymore, but sometimes I wish I could. To everyone who disagrees with the basic point of this post, I envy you, sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Shooby

[/ QUOTE ]

faith is only valid when there is every reason why you shouldnt believe in God.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shooby

[/ QUOTE ]

And millions of children upon learning there is no Santa Claus wish it were still true. Get over it.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
faith is only valid when there is every reason why you shouldnt believe in God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is another way of saying that faith is the suspension of reason. (and thus, nothing to strive for)
Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 AM

"Its impossible to have a conversation with people who believe in god about his/its non existence, It would be like banging your head against a wall, and as mean and pointless as telling a 3 year old there is no Santa."

So am I to assume from your post that either a)you don't have any evidence for God's non-existence or b)you don't want to be bothered to post and/or defend it?

If it's "b", then why even bother to post that in the first place?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM

"faith is only valid when there is every reason why you shouldnt believe in God."

Not true. Christianity is not a "blind-faith" religion.

Every reason, huh? Can you name some?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:58 AM

"Which is another way of saying that faith is the suspension of reason."

Look up the definition of faith and see if you find anything that refers to an absence of reason. You won't.