Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Default Other guy\'s shoes

Here was something that I thought was mildly interesting. I raise UTG in a good $15/$30 and get two cold callers. You think of me as someone who plays "fast", which was told to me by the player after the hand. I think of you as a very tight but somewhat timid player. You are in the small blind with pocket kings and 3-bet. I 4-bet and both callers call. You cap it and everyone calls. Flop is Q-9-3 rainbow, you bet, I raise, LP (maniac) calls and you just call. Turn is another 9, you check, I bet, LP calls, and its on you with 15 bets in the pot. Do you call here? How about the river if its a blank? Do you overcall?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Other guy\'s shoes

I fold on the turn.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:33 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yeah, you've got to assume a set or a 9 because it was capped preflop and there was a single raise on the flop called by a maniac.

wtf?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:48 PM

Given the image vehn has of "me", coupled with my preflop action, there is no hand vehn can have that doesn't beat me. And I don't think he can even push the other KK that hard once I cap preflop. He knows I won't fold because he knows I think he's full of chit. Vehn has AA (90%) or QQ (10%), period. fold.

Of course, now he'll tell us he *did* have KK and I'll feel silly, but such is life. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 01:10 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

if the 'timid' player thought he would overplay a hand like tt/jj/aq/etc here, he would certainly call down with kings. that is his take on him.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:42 PM

This is a tough one. I was in exactly this situation about three weeks ago... except I was on the unhappy end. I had KK UTG and raised. An aggressive girl in the SB 3-bet and I capped. She didn't slow down at all on the flop betting and 3-betting my raise. Once I got 3-bet, I put her on AA almost without question, but I couldn't pull together the emotional fortitude to fold in such a big pot until the 3rd player in the hand raised the turn. You see, he had flopped a wheel with the A2o. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 02:20 PM

Plus he does have a 5% chance of drawing out on Aces. However, maniac might have J-T which would give pocket kings zero outs against aces instead of two. Weak-tights will call down with overpairs against players they see as "fast."
Old 04-14-2003, 03:27 PM

hi vehn
i think that it's a definate call here. the action ends with you, and you're in the lead. also, this is the type of hand that folding on may inspire opponents to later take shots at you, but no one else. so, it's a definate call.

you have what is likely top two pair, a blank hits and you will make the over-call.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:27 PM

LOL. This is the kind of post I expect from you elysium. It must be fun to post first, read later. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Results

The SB thought for a bit and called the turn with KK. The river was a J, SB checked, I bet, and the maniac made it easy for the SB by raising. He folded, I thought for a second and decided he could have made one of the two gutshots and just called. Maniac showed Q3 sooted and my aces up were good.

I would play the other two kings the same way but probably would have checked the river.