Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2002, 11:03 PM

Default hey pretty boy

rick,n

what up with your new mouse without the cord. do you like it. or didnt you get one for chistmas as you thought. come clean and you will feel better.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:43 AM

Default Re: hey pretty boy

ray,

Being a Yankee I looked up a bunch of product reviews and found that people complained about reliability in many models and battery life in the cordless models so I took it off the wish list until it becomes as proven a technology as microwaves are in the kitchen. Things that break drive me nuts and I hate changing and paying for batteries even more than cleaning my ball.

Santa did get me a big hard drive instead and I then made my old 20 meg drive a slave and use it exclusively to store MP3s converted from the best of my CD collection. Most of the little time I have at home is spent in front of the PC and the speakers I have (top of the line Cambridge Soundworks) really sound good without disturbing the neighbors since the tweeters are about two feet from my head.

I'm also getting into the first of the Civil War books that you 2+2 guys recommended and so far the one I'm reading is great although it took 200 pages before a shot was fired.

Anyway, Happy New Year!

Regards,

Rick "I ain't that pretty" Nebiolo

Old 01-04-2002, 10:25 AM

Default Re: war of northern aggression books..

hey, a civil war is two or more factions fighting for control of one country... that was not the case in 1860's in north america, as one faction merely wanted to separate without controlling the other's land government and economy. while the northern aggressors violated states rights and viciously attacked the south, this was a war of one side controlling another, not a war of two sides competing for one centrally ruled country. i am especially peeved that john cole would go along with this obvious misuse of terminology.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:28 AM

Do you wear white sheets at night?
Old 01-04-2002, 02:14 PM

Scalf,

I won’t have the time (not do I have the expertise) to get into a long political discussion but it is pretty clear to my peanut brain that the only significant “issue” dividing the North and South was slavery and its expansion into the territories that were soon to become or had just become states (e.g., Kansas, New Mexico). So the war was fought to “preserve the union” (North) or “defend states rights” (South) but THE issue dividing North and South was the practice of slavery, which was unique to the South and a stain on our national honor.

BTW, on many present day issues I think the Federal Government has too much power relative to the States but Lincoln did the right thing in 1961 IMO.

Regards,

Rick

Old 01-04-2002, 02:19 PM

'but Lincoln did the right thing in 1961 IMO'

i see youre hedging your bets a little here. ha

brad
Old 01-04-2002, 02:21 PM

well, lets take another case. a homogenous ethnic population was split into 2 countries, and the US said that we had to fight to preserve the right of s.v. to be an independent country.

hmm. looks like USA batting 1000 here.

brad
Old 01-04-2002, 08:42 PM

Vietnam was never split into two countries. The United States invented the mythical country of South Vietnam, and invented the myth that we were fighting to preserve its independence from Northern aggression. The Northern involvement followed, rather than preceded, the U.S. involvement.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:24 PM

Default You talkin\' to me?

I saw pretty boy, and I thought. . .

Never mind.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:03 PM

and then got the deposed president a position as owner of a liquor store in southern cal...gl