Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Logical proof for the existence of God

1. God by definition is the greatest bieng concievable. Even those individuals who deny that God exists (atheists) outiside of people's minds take the word "god" to mean, among other things, "the greatest bieng concievable." Such people (atheists), then go on to deny that there is anything in external reality corresponding to the word.

therefore...

2. the atheists premise is that GOD DOES NOT EXIST IN THE EXTERNAL WORLD, but only as an concieved entity in people's minds.

3. it is agreed that anything existing in the external world would be greater than it would be if it merely existed as an idea in people's minds.

4. (from 2 and 3) Therefore, a greater bieng than God can be concieved, namely one that exists in the external world.

5. proposition 4 contradicts proposition 1.

6. since proposition 4 follows from propositions 2 and 3, either propositions(s) 1 and/or 2 and/or 3 must be changed to avoid this contradiction.

7. but proposition 1 is simply a definition accepted by both the theist and the atheist, and proposition 3 is granted independently of what is at issue.

therefore...

8. to avoid a contradiction, proposition 2 must be changed.

and...

9. to change proposition 2 is to deny that God is merely an idea in people's minds..

10. therefore, GOD EXISTS IN THE EXTERNAL WORLD, and is not merely an idea in people's minds.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Arguments for or against this approach?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Logical proof for the existence of God

[ QUOTE ]

3. it is agreed that anything existing in the external world would be greater than it would be if it merely existed as an idea in people's minds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This premise looks faulty.

It looks like you might be able to convince a jury of twelve people that there is a god this way, but proving it? I dunno about that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 03:00 AM

define the technical term "greatness"

What if the "greatest" being that exists was not responsible for creating the universe? Doesn't that negate the idea of "god" right there?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:17 AM

well I suppose its still a nice fantasy. Not something I buy though.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:27 AM

I believe in a Christian God, but for the sake of argument I will demonstrate why I disagree with this proof.

[ QUOTE ]

1. God by definition is the greatest bieng concievable. Even those individuals who deny that God exists (atheists) outiside of people's minds take the word "god" to mean, among other things, "the greatest bieng concievable." Such people (atheists), then go on to deny that there is anything in external reality corresponding to the word.

[/ QUOTE ]

This presupposes a definition of "greatest." What if my definition was myself? Therefore, I am God.

[ QUOTE ]

2. the atheists premise is that GOD DOES NOT EXIST IN THE EXTERNAL WORLD, but only as an concieved entity in people's minds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably should run it like a proof by contradiction. Assume that God does not exist in the external world as opposed to Atheists believe...

Define external world. Is the number 2 part of the "external world"?

There is no justification for 3. Who agrees? Do you know that? How does people agreeing with it make it true?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:26 AM

Guess its official.

link
Old 08-30-2005, 04:31 AM

1. Pegasus by definition is the greatest horse conceivable. Even those individuals who deny that God exists (atheists) outiside of people's minds take the word pegasus to mean, among other things, "the greatest horse concievable." ( seeing as he can fly and serves other horses in general)Such people (atheists), then go on to deny that there is anything in external reality corresponding to the word.

therefore...

2. the atheists premise is that pegasus DOES NOT EXIST IN THE EXTERNAL WORLD, but only as an concieved entity in people's minds.

4. (from 2 and 3) Therefore, a greater horse than pegasus can be concieved, namely one that exists in the external world.

5. proposition 4 contradicts proposition 1.

6. since proposition 4 follows from propositions 2 and 3, either propositions(s) 1 and/or 2 and/or 3 must be changed to avoid this contradiction.

7. but proposition 1 is simply a definition accepted by both the theist and the atheist, and proposition 3 is granted independently of what is at issue.

therefore...

8. to avoid a contradiction, proposition 2 must be changed.

and...

9. to change proposition 2 is to deny that pegasus is merely an idea in people's minds and in literature..

10. therefore, pegasus EXISTS IN THE EXTERNAL WORLD, and is not merely an idea in people's minds. Dibs on getting the first ride now that I have proven that pegasus exists
Old 08-30-2005, 06:34 AM

The question of the existence of God is a physical question,not a logical,philisophical question.
Forget the mental masturbation,where's the physical evidence?
Shooby [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The question of the existence of God is a physical question,not a logical,philisophical question.
Forget the mental masturbation,where's the physical evidence?
Shooby [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I don't know if I believe in God. But, from what I know, is that if there is a God, it is not a physical being. One weak proof (can't remember which philosopher) is that all physical matter eventually decays and is destroyed. God, by definition cannot ever not exist. Hence, God is not a physical being.

craig
Old 08-30-2005, 07:06 AM

ROTFLMOL good one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]