Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you do with AK, TPTK?
Reraise. 8 15.38%
Call. 32 61.54%
Fold. 12 23.08%
I wouldn't have bet this flop. 0 0%
I wouldn't have raised preflop. 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 PM

Default What is the right decision?

Not really sure where this post belongs

I'm really in a bind here... I'm expecting my first child in about a month. I have 4 classes left to take to graduate with a bachelors degree at a 4 year university. My friend called me this weekend and said hes leaving for Australia for 9 months and wants to know if Id be interested in taking the vacancy at a construction company that he works at. This job pays $34 an hour. However, I'd need to take the semester off to work there. I have a waitering job that Ill be working at if I dont take a semester off that will lay me about 275-350/wk. With this construction job Ill be 4x that. Plus I wont have any worries about providing for my new child and girlfriend. My plan would be to take this semester off, save up as much as possible with this new job, take a winter course and graduate in the spring.

On the other hand, I can continue with the semester as scheduled, wait tables, and graduate in december.

What would be my best plan

need to edit... Night classes wouldnt get me to graduate in december. I expect 45-50k for an entry level position when I graduate. I have potential jobs, but nothing real promising so far. Also, by splitting up my classload, I will be able to shift to PT student and save probably about 5k in tuition (that 4I'm helping my mom pay for)
Old 08-29-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: What is the right decision?

Night classes an option? And how much do you think you will be making when you graduate? If you have a job lined up that pays better than the construction, finsish school ASAP, if you havent really started looking for prospects, might as well save up a few bucks while you have this oppurtunity.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:00 PM

id say just finish school- too many of my buds dropped out and i dont see them back.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:01 PM

$34/hr x 40 hrs a week = $1360/wk

$1360/wk x 52 weeks = $70,720/yr.

If you can stand the work I would go for it. Most people leave school and make half that, or less. Also, there's a time limit on it (he will be returning) which means it will make it more feasible for you to do it for a while, then go back to school.

Working for a while will give you a lot of perspective on the career path you're on and help you determine some priorities. Not to mention I think it's a great opportunity for you to provide for your family.

NT
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 PM

Didn't Joe Millionare only make $9/hr? What kinda construction job pays $34 to a newbie?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:08 PM

It's a government contract my bud's dad has. I thought the pay seemed a little high. But a couple of my friends do electrician and carpentry work for about the same amount in the Union
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM

Have you talked to your girlfriend about this? Does she plan on going to work after your child is born? is she done with school?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 PM

She said that she never doubts the time and thought I put into decisions and she trusts that whatever decision I make will be the right one for the three of us. She will be going back to work in November (when the baby is scheduled for daycare) She had a short stint of school but there are no immediate plans for her to return.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:30 PM

I voted to take the construction job mostly because it seems like it would give you more free time vs. school and waiting tables. Your girlfriend is going to need as much support from you as possible when this kid comes. I've talked to couples where both parents were able to take of time off work when the kid was born, and they said it was still incredibly stressfull and they had exactly 0 free time. With the construction job, you will be working regular hours and the money will help you do things like buy dinner instead of having to cook. Plus, I think it will be hard to focus on your schooling with the new kid and the education you would get now is not as valuable as the education you will get when your life settles down a bit and you can focus on what you are doing.

my $0.02 anyway
Old 08-30-2005, 12:07 AM

I voted finish school, but after reading the rest of the thread I've changed my mind. I have no idea what it's like to have a child and the other posters made some good points. I say get the construction job, so that you're working regular hours and banking good money at this very crucial time of you and your family's life. Then, once things settle down, it'll be easier for you to focus on school and finish that up. Taking one extra semester isn't bad at all.