Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Battlestar Galactica

I just finished watching the miniseries and am wading thru season one right now - halfway thru it...

this may be simply the best written sci-fi series I've ever seen - the angles and storylines they are playing are awesome, and the vibe feels more like reality - like it could really happen - I love it -

awesome...

RB
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica

it's a great show ... season two isn't quite as consistently good as season one (some shows seem to drag) but the best of episodes of season two are phenomenal. glad to see there are other fans among the OOTiots.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:03 AM

Google battlestar galactica podcast, and download them they are the commentary by the producer. I think they start with season 1 episode 9 or 10.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:17 AM

red dwarf!!!1
Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 AM

I've missed the last two weeks of episodes. How very bad of me. Still, I always record them on DVD, so I still have Home Pt. 1 waiting for me. I actually forgot to record Home Pt. 2 last Friday, so it's important for me to get it during tonight's rerun.

I really don't think season 2 has been dragging, but other people thinking that is understandable to me.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:38 AM

Yeah to Red Dwarf. Series 3-6 are the daddies of Sci-Fi, except maybe first 2 series of the original Star Trek.

Hell, Blake's 7 and Doctor Who (well, the first 4 of em) are pretty good too if we're talking UK SF, and are willing to overlook microbudgets. Oh, and Hitchhikers.

But to stay on topic, yeah, the new Battlestar Galactica is pretty darn good, and probably will be considered a classic in the near future.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:42 AM

given your avatar, i'm assuming you and i will disgree on how interesting Col. Tigh's subplots have been this season. IMO, his character requires interaction/confrontation with his wife or Starbuck to be even remotely interesting.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
given your avatar, i'm assuming you and i will disgree on how interesting Col. Tigh's subplots have been this season. IMO, his character requires interaction/confrontation with his wife or Starbuck to be even remotely interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I COMPLETELY disagree with you. I was also pretty sure you fit right in there with the folks who couldn't appreciate watching the first few episodes that didn't really include Olmos.

I'm not saying you said this, but it was funny to read all the comments from people who complained about a "lack of plot" in the first four episodes. Obviously those episodes were packed with plot and interesting stuff, and the people who said that really only cared about one storyline: Adama
Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying you said this, but it was funny to rad all the people who complained about a "lack of plot" in the first four episodes. Obviously those episodes were packed with plot and interesting stuff, and the people who said that really only cared about one storyline: Adama

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad you're not saying i said that because i completely disagree with that notion. the episodes without Adama allowed many other characters to get much needed additional character development -- Starbuck, Chief, Helo, both Sharons, etc ... even the soldier that guarded the President's cell in the brig -- seemingly everyone EXCEPT Col. Tigh. What did we learn about Tigh during those episodes? That he's a a drunk who never wanted to be in charge and can't handle the pressure of command? Um, we knew that in the first episode of the first season. How has Tigh developed from then until now?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What did we learn about Tigh during those episodes? That he's a a drunk who never wanted to be in charge and can't handle the pressure of command? Um, we knew that in the first episode of the first season. How has Tigh developed from then until now?

[/ QUOTE ]

So... it's only interesting if his character goes through some big change in which we learn more about him? Seriously, Apollo is a lot more underdeveloped than Tigh. The old man's son is somewhat fickle and hard to understand most of the time.

As for Tigh, I think what we got to see is how things would be if the old man wasn't around. This was very entertaining to me. Just because it's not a new thing that he's a drunk doesn't mean his character isn't interesting to watch. Micheal Hogan's performance in those episodes was very very good.

I also somewhat disagree with your assertion that everything we saw about Tigh in those episodes was previously known. The first episode of the season provided us with a lot more insight into just how far gone he once was and just how much he didn't want a command. Also, the last Tigh episode showed him starting to question his relationship with his wife a lot more than he had previously. I know you excluded the stuff about his wife in your post, but it's an important part of Tigh's development.

Clearly I love the Tigh heavy episodes. The actor does a great job, and he is one of the more consistent sources of humor on BSG, which is something the show always needs. With Baltar headed down a progressively darker path, Tigh may be one of the best sources for humor in the coming episodes.

The fact that coffee was what pushed Tigh over the edge is something I will never forget. Fantastic.

(Note: As I said, I haven't seen the last two episodes yet. So try not to post any spoilers, or at least mark them as spoilers. Thanks.)