Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 11:00 PM

Default What\'s The Best Way To Learn Spanish?

I've always wanted to learn a new language, mostly Spanish. What's the best way to go about that? I've had some classes in high school but that was many years ago and I didn't really retain anything from them.

I really want to learn how to speak, but I'd also like to know how to read and write. Should I just stick to learning to speak at first? Should I take college classes? Should I buy some "Learn Spanish" tapes? What do you suggest is the best route for me to take?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: What\'s The Best Way To Learn Spanish?

It really depends on how much pain you want to put yourself through. Most foreign language tapes you can buy are good if you want to pick up a few phrases, but are pretty bad if your goal is to become fluent. I would look at college classes or, if you don't want to spend the money, look at local adult education curriculum offered by the city you live in.

Also, make sure you know some people you'll be able to talk Spanish with outside of class. I took French in high school and the biggest issue I've had is retention since the only other person I know that speaks french is my sister. If you live in the Southwest, this shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wanted to learn a new language, mostly Spanish. What's the best way to go about that? I've had some classes in high school but that was many years ago and I didn't really retain anything from them.

I really want to learn how to speak, but I'd also like to know how to read and write. Should I just stick to learning to speak at first? Should I take college classes? Should I buy some "Learn Spanish" tapes? What do you suggest is the best route for me to take?

[/ QUOTE ]

Become a heroin addict and move to the Mission in San Francisco.

You'll learn really fast. It's true, you won't learn how to read it or write it, but by then, that stuff won't matter.

At all.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 PM

I have no idea. But the first thing that came to mind was that scene in Billy Madison.

"SLOW.....DOWN"
Old 08-28-2005, 11:12 PM

Live somewhere where spanish is the primary language. After 3 months you will be set.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live somewhere where spanish is the primary language. After 3 months you will be set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Denver, so it's close ;-)
Old 08-28-2005, 11:28 PM

If you end up with cds/tapes, I think pimsleur is the way to go. I have a shelf full of spanish cds/books (and my girlfriend is from Spain [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]), and the pimsleurs were the best resource for helping me learn.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:29 PM

Come to NY.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:31 PM

You need to study a lot so you have a basic understanding of the language(grammer,vocab,etc...). Then you can practice with native speakers. If you think you can just pick up a language by listening to it you are wrong. Listen to spanish music and watch spanish movies also. Its good stuff!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:39 PM

I've been listening to the pimsleur tapes in the car y apriendo un poco, pero despacio. After I get through all 50 hours worth I'm gonna move onto setting up DVDs for spanish dubbing and english subtitles.