Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Review: Hand 4, A2s

[ QUOTE ]
- - - HAND 4 - - -

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
2 folds, CO calls, 1 fold, MICROPOSTER completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
MICROPOSTER checks, BB checks, CO checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)

River: (1.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)

Final Pot: 1.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

So I've only played a few thousand hands of 6-max, but I see two things to consider here:

1) Even though we're in a blind here, do we have enough hand to raise for value/isolation against the open-limping donk?

2) As it was played, it looks to me like we can bet the best hand on the turn for value.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Review: Hand 4, A2s

Can you explain me what does isolation mean?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain me what does isolation mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, CO has just openlimped in a 6-max game, which is almost always a no-no and is certainly a mistake from the CO. If he liked his hand at all, he would have raised it. We'd like to get it down to just the idiot, and a raise might get rid of BB and might get us the pot on the flop. Even if it doesn't, our hand has more showdown value HU than 3-way. I don't want to let BB check his option and get to share the profit from CO's mistake with us.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 AM

1) Technically, yes, I think this would be a profitable raise.

However, I'm still not comfortable raising A-rag (rag being like less than 7) out of position against an unknown. If anything it is only slightly +EV, and very much +variance.

2) You're probably right. If you're called, do you bet the river?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not getting calls from worse hands here, so it would really be an issue of folding better ones or snapping off a bluff.

The only possibly better hand you'd fold is a stronger ace, but most 6m opponents would have raised those from the CO and the BB's (very wide) hand range is literally any two cards at this point, so I think it's unlikely there's a better ace out there. I'd check-call (but not overcall) the river in the hopes of catching a busted draw.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) it is slightly +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP - got rid of all that other unimportant stuff [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not getting calls from worse hands here, so it would really be an issue of folding better ones or snapping off a bluff.

The only possibly better hand you'd fold is a stronger ace, but most 6m opponents would have raised those from the CO and the BB's (very wide) hand range is literally any two cards at this point, so I think it's unlikely there's a better ace out there. I'd check-call (but not overcall) the river in the hopes of catching a busted draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem is that 6-max is filled with noobs who open limp hands like AJo.

If I bet the turn and get called, I think I usually have to check/fold the river.

I think the line I like better is checking the turn and calling the river. Sort of a WA/WB situation.

Although the pot is tiny since I didn't raise preflop and the flop and turn have been checked around... not sure if it's worth fighting over.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the line I like better is checking the turn and calling the river. Sort of a WA/WB situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem with this is that you can never be WA. It would royally suck to check behind the turn to see the 3 in BB's 93o pair up on the riv.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only problem is that 6-max is filled with noobs who open limp with any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I really like to raise preflop here. Not only for value, but for many other reasons.

It's very difficult to play oop with this hand when you havn't showed strength preflop. You will find yourself folding the best hand too often, imo.

I also like to have an image of having a wide raising range in 6max. Good for Shania and such.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem with this is that you can never be WA. It would royally suck to check behind the turn to see the 3 in BB's 93o pair up on the riv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, true.

You're possibly ahead on the turn, but the pot is still microscopic... Maybe it's worth a shot there, but I'd give up if I'm called.