Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2003, 02:43 AM

Default Losing it at the table

Okay,
Let me start by saying I've been really working on not going on tilt at the table, but tonight I pretty much lost it. Here's the situation, great 20-40 game, 3 limpers to the button who raises, SB calls, I call in BB w/ Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] , everyone else calls, 6-handed. Flop

J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Pretty decent flop for me, SB checks, I check, EP limper bets out, 1 caller, Button raises, SB folds, I call, limper 3-bets, Button calls, I call. Turn 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] , I check, Ep bets, player folds, button calls, I raise, EP calls, button calls. River 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , I bet out, EP raises, button folds I reraise, he reraises, I reraise, Button says out loud, "which one of you has the straight flush?" EP looks at the board, says oh [censored] and just calls. I win of course, and he shows his J-10. I look at the button and proceed in losing it, I think I said something like "Are you [censored] serious?" "Are you that [censored] stupid?" "You've got to be [censored] kidding me", I basically just tried to throw in an F-bomb anywhere I could. After that he flashes a grin, I say "deal me out" seeing how I'm past tilt and probably shouldn't continue playing. I really tried to not go on tilt at the table, but tonight I just couldn't help it, just wanted to let you guys know about my interesting hand.

-D.J.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Losing it at the table

Hi D.J.,
That guy's an a-hole and cost you either $80 or $160. Your opponent was ready to go off a few more times. But que sera, sera. The only part of the post that really caught my eye was that you got up...cuz the only one you're gonna punish by continuing to play is yourself.

Dan
Old 04-08-2003, 04:24 AM

Damn. I'm a rather mild-mannered fellow at the table, but I would have lost it here, too, and I would have dropped f-bombs. I know that. He definitely cost you 80, if not 160 or more here. I don't know what I would do here. I just hope that never happens to me. BTW, good job getting up for a while, after recognizing that you would play on tilt. I've read a lot of your posts, and it sounds like something you might not have done in the past. I don't recall if you left after your flopped quads ran into a royal. Oh wait, I think you were all-in on that hand. . .
Old 04-08-2003, 06:19 AM

Next time you see him there, leave when he leaves and follow him to the parking lot. Let your imagination take over from there. My imagination usually involves a shank or brass knuckles.

PokerPrince
Old 04-08-2003, 03:25 PM

Default Now there\'s an idea!!! *NM*

Old 04-08-2003, 09:39 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default aahhhh, im pining for the old bowling alley days n/m

Old 04-08-2003, 09:45 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

first time this ever happened to you? or just the first time with this type of hand?

i smirk inside when i see a guy lose it like this at a table. but i also know what it does to the table. then i lick my chops. reacting this way would tell me that other things could affect you also. youve shown a weakness.

there are much better ways of telling a guy to shut up during a hand than to tighten up the table and look like a baby. and yes, that's what it wouldve looked like. a rant is justified, but not of this magnitude. there's no excuse for this type of reaction.

take a stress tab...

there are much worse things that can happen at a table. in some places, some guys would have you sucking carpet thru your ass if you went off on em like that. then theyd just deal around you as you pulled fibers out of your teeth that are all over the ground.

be careful.

b
Old 04-08-2003, 11:06 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would have to guess that i would have gotten walked out by security on this one for pushing him to the floor. it wouldn't be my recommendation to myself or anyone else, but that's probably how i'd respond.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:26 AM

"Let me start by saying I've been really working on not going on tilt at the table"

What does it mean, really, to be tiltless? It means that you have a practiced emotional indifference to bad stuff (and good stuff too). To whatever degree your indifference prevails during crisis, that is the degree to which you have approached tiltlessness.

I am the tiltless high priest. (Or is that high tiltless priest?) I return from Mount Tiltless to ask you to imagine. Imagine the scene you were in. Live it again. Watch it unfold. Listen to the man say these words: "which one of you has the straight flush?." Watch the other man become aware and stop raising.

Now, see yourself, oblivious, aloof, detached, absolutely and utterly ignoring the words that were spoken and the reaction they caused. Gather the chips. Tip the dealer. And I'll meet you on the mountain.

Tommy
Old 04-09-2003, 03:03 PM

That's precisely the kind of guy I needed to be there, one of those so-called hard-asses, someone to take offense and get physical. That way I would be justified in beating the hell out of him with a rubber hose.

-D.J.