Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Default computer freezing intermittently

I have been having this problem recently with my computer freezing shortly after I boot it up. This is a freeze where the mouse stops working and everything stops including any music. After the computer crashes, and I try to boot it up, it won't even load the BIOS. After several minutes it will boot up again and then freeze. I tried loading it up in safe mode and it froze in that too. This is not a overheating problem I don't think because when the bios does load the cpu temperature is ridiculously low. Strangely, after I started having this problem, and I didn't use the computer for a week, the next time I used it, it worked like normal. How can I fix this problem?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: computer freezing intermittently

This looks like a hardware problem, most likely bad memory or a hard drive starting to go south.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: computer freezing intermittently

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a overheating problem I don't think because when the bios does load the cpu temperature is ridiculously low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it might be. Also does your computer "crash" (meaning BSOD or restart or other bad behaviour) or just "freeze" (allowing you to do nothing), there is a big differene and you mentioned both of them. When a meter shows "ridiculously low" temperature it is a sign that the meter is not working right. Have you opened the case and taken a look at the amount of dust in the fans/coolers? How long was it since you cleaned it?

If the coolers are clean run a memtest. If that wont help there is something other wrong.