Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Default A9s isolation reraise and calling down with only a nine paired

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (12.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Preflop open raiser was a LAG who opens up a ton of suited connectors so I attempted to iso him. Getting 17-1 with a backdoor flush draw and maybe a 5% chance I was ahead, I made the flop call. Turn boated me so I decided to call down U/I. Although villain is unknown, I think he has a lower pocket pair, a lower nine or even JT often enough to make this correct.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: A9s isolation reraise and calling down with only a nine paired

Raise the turn.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 05:20 PM

I think you have to raise either the turn or the river. Probably better to raise the turn.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Preflop- If you feel that you have a read such that this isolation is profitable, great. I can't say that its a bad move because some players definately deserve to be punished for playing too many hands. This is a normal fold without a lot of CC's though.

Flop- THis flop looks pretty good for you, as the chances of him having a Q are not the best, and besides that only a higher PP beats your hand. Calling his C/R (vs. reraising) is correct.

Turn- when the 3rd queen comes I think you have to seriously consider raising, but calling is fine.

River- I think you have to raise this river. If he has a queen, you'll survive, but there's a better chance that you have the best hand.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 17-1 with a backdoor flush draw and maybe a 5% chance I was ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
You are ahead here a lot more than 5% of the time. You should raise the turn and call down a three bet. Given that you didn't raise the turn, you should pop the river and call a three bet. The villain will have the fourth queen here basically never. If he happened to have it - [censored] happens. You might have played this a bit too passively, but it's better than spewing chips.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM

I like raising the turn more than raising the river. I should force button to fold his AK/JT.

But I like just calling the river and going for the overcall. Am I too scared of quads here because raising just says "I have an ace, if you have worse, might as well fold".
Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 PM

I raise the turn...I consider raising the river, but I think once that A falls, there's an excellent chance we're splitting this pot.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 PM

I'd probably raise the turn. Barring that, I would definitely raise the river. You are only behind AA or a Q. I would usually expect to see something like TT here from the villian.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:48 PM

3-bet the flop. Button is stuck drawing and if he folds his J/T/K- all the better.