Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Top 2 Pair on the Flop

Table is somewhat loose, but nothing like this hand would suggest - this was an anomoly. I am tight, so my raises usually get a degree of respect. MP2 is a moron. Everyone else is a bit loose, but not crazy.

Party Poker $1/$2 Texas Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666"> </font>
UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG + 1 calls,

Flop: (14.5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG + 1 folds, Hero raises, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, BB raises, Hero raises, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB calls,

Turn: (16.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB bets, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls,

River: (20.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB bets, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO raises, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls,

Final Pot: 28.75 BB
Old 08-23-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Top 2 Pair on the Flop

Call the flop 3-bet. Raise the turn.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 AM

What is the purpose of raising the turn? I'm pretty sure I'm beat at this point, and I'm just calling to try to make a full house.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the purpose of raising the turn? I'm pretty sure I'm beat at this point, and I'm just calling to try to make a full house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so sure you are beat? Does villain have Q 10 that often? I don't think so. I'd want a little more of a read to come to that conclusion.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to have K9 or J9 here a ton.

The pot is big and you'll have a great chance to protect your hand against one-card gutshots on the turn.

I think you should have raised the turn anyway, (even after capping the flop), but by just calling the flop 3-bet you encourage the BB to bet again, and cut the odds for MP2 and the CO even more, (because the pot would have been smaller).

By just calling the turn bet you're giving MP2 and the CO a great price to call w/ a single Q or T. They'll probably call anyway, but that's fine. Raise and make them do it with the worst of it.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:13 AM

I don't raise this preflop on a loose table. The only way the the turn card helped anyone is if they were specifically holding 88 or T7. I doubt anyone with those hands was staying in with a capped flop. Add to this everything that coldcash said and raise the goddamn turn.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 AM

Fold PF.

Raise the turn.

Edit: Coldcash is right that you should just call the flop 3-bet, since this gives you the best chance of being able to raise the turn and thus protect your hand.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:07 PM

The table has been nowhere near as loose as this hand would lead you to believe. Because I have a very tight image, every time I have raised before, it has usually folded everyone behind me except for maybe the BB and sometimes MP2 who is a passive moron who calls with bad cards.

My thinking in capping the flop was making it 2 more bets to the two behind me, hoping to get a least one of them to go away. If they both stuck around, I also felt that this built the pot up enough to give me odds to call to my 4 outs if I am indeed behind. I guess the consensus is that the turn raise has a better chance of folding anyone.

I felt I was likely behind to a set or straight by the turn, but also knew that there was no way to make anyone fold, so that’s why no more follow-up bets.

With a pot this big, I couldn’t find a fold on the river despite the possible straight and flush, but if BB had re-raised the CO’s raise, would anyone have laid this down?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:26 PM

I'd raise the turn.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:34 PM

I'm definately getting a raise in on the turn.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]