Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 05:13 AM

Default Hand to Talk About

Hi Everyone:

Here's a seemingly simple hand I played earlier tonight in the $30-$60 game at The Bellagio. By the way, the place is packed and there are many good games at all limits. I suspect it will stay that way for at least six weeks.

Two early position players limped and then a middle position player, who is a little too loose and very aggressive, raised. I held A[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] on the button and made it three bets.

The flop was K[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]3[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. It was checked, I bet, and everyone folded.

All comments welcome,

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-06-2003, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

By the way, the place is packed and there are many good games at all limits. I suspect it will stay that way for at least six weeks.

Fantastic news. I'll be there starting next Tuesday to see how I do. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Having three opponents fold to one flop bet in a pot that was 3-bet preflop is basically unheard of in my game. I find the flop action to be very surprising.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:06 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 04-06-2003, 06:34 AM

Given the fact that you said the games are good (and that the limpers apparently cold-called your 3-bet), the limpers are probably a little on the loose side, so when the flop comes K43 with one heart, you could also check behind and see if a heart/ace/queen comes down on turn and be done with the hand/try to bluff-bet otherwise, because itīs not too likely that everyone will fold to your flop bet; a check-raise would hurt especially.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:40 AM

There is so much money in the pot that it doesn't hurt to bet (with this flop), even if out of position (though not vs. three cold callers for sure); and with a position it will give a free river card in many/most cases even if you get called.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:06 AM

Your hand is not strong enough to slow play. Betting is correct. IMO-
Old 04-06-2003, 11:11 AM

AQ figures to be the best hand on this flop given the situation Mason describes. If not, he most certainly has 6 outs. Betting is mandatory. IMO-
Old 04-06-2003, 11:29 AM

I'm with kong on this one. I can't believe it gets three bet preflop and then everyone mucks for one bet. This would never happen in my game. Which basically confirms your statement that this was a great game. Opponents who limp/cold call two more, and a loose aggressive who is willing to muck to one bet on the flop- mmmm.

Leon
Old 04-06-2003, 12:28 PM

Mason:
Your three-bet pre-flop works on a number of levels. Because you have AQs, you are happy if the early limpers fold, adding equity to what is likely a better hand than the aggressive raiser's (and you have position). If on the other hand the limpers call, you have a hand which plays well multi-way.

When the flop comes and your opponents check to you, your lead bet from the button again works on a number of levels. First, it's likely that you'll fold someone (though I suspect that folding everyone was a small surprise). The most common hand for calling a flop that misses you is "two overcards" -- and the K on the flop guarantees that none of your opponents will hold that. Because the pre-flop raiser did not re-raise you, I think you can be reasonably sure that he doesn't hold AA, KK, or AK. This makes him unlikely to be trying for a checkraise on this flop, so it looks like you'll get to see the turn for the single bet even if he holds Kx (and the substantial majority of the hands he'd probably raise with pre-flop have Aces more often than Kings). If he has made a pair of K's,you have outs (backdoor flush and straight possibilities plus an Ace overcard). Given the two low cards flopped it's improbable that anything but the King could have helped anyone (no flush draws and only the remote low straight draw).

Assuming nobody holds a King, your betting on each round gives your opponents the job of picking between bad choices, and if someone has a King, you've still got chances.

Gino
Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 PM

Mason,

gee, a hand where you didn't check call your opponents to death [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

with AQs or offsuit on the button pre flop you want to three bet most right hand opponents who raise limpers late since they tend to have a much worse hand than you. with this slightly loose and very aggressive raiser your hand is even better given his likely low raising standards. this isn't a place to keep the pot small and leverage a raise off his likely post flop bet.

andy fox would disagree but with a big ace suited but possibly dominated hand had the pre flop raise come early with a few cold callers calling two bets is OK but still i would usually reraise.

with this flop (a king high rainbow with two babies) your hand is probably best after being checked to but not so good you want to give free cards. you can't check and allow low limping cards a chance to pair up because the pot has gotton big enough for them to call you down on fourth street and the river. you also want a small or middle pair who may have been thinking about calling you down or leading in on the turn a chance to fold. i would think the bet is automatic.

~ rick