Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Will this strategy work in low NL?

I have been reading these forums for awhile but just now decided to sign up and post because im curious if this strategy is worth trying.

This system is meant to take full advantage of other players mostly noobs. Im certain if it does work it will only work in the lower no limit games. Ok here it goes.

Fold everything but pocket pairs and Axs. When you have a pocket pair or Axs fold to a pre-flop bet greater than 10% of your stack. Otherwise just check and don't raise.

If the flop gives you a set or nut flush then go all-in. If you get a nut flush draw then try to check for a free card or if someone bets dont call more than 10% of your stack. If you dont get a nut flush/draw or a set then fold.

Ok heres a couple notes

-You must fold everything but pocket pair and Axs. Even with KQs. This way you keep as much money in your stack for when you hit the set or nut flush.

-Obviously having people call you when you go all-in the the key to this working. Thats why it will work on only low no-limit games where their are plenty of fish that will call with two pair or high pair.

Please comment on this so I know if its worth a try.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Will this strategy work in low NL?

I'm sure it'd work at 25 NL because people are idiots, but you'd make a lot more playing actual poker.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-You must fold everything but pocket pair and Axs. Even with KQs. This way you keep as much money in your stack for when you hit the set or nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called rebuy. But I too like to pass up EV and pay blinds uselessly.

[ QUOTE ]
-Obviously having people call you when you go all-in the the key to this working. Thats why it will work on only low no-limit games where their are plenty of fish that will call with two pair or high pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most will lay down a high pair as well, but that's ok.

[ QUOTE ]
Please comment on this so I know if its worth a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind normally your all in will not be called, you will pick up 3BB and with this strategy you will never be a high winner.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most will lay down a high pair as well, but that's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen many noobs get a pair of aces on the flop and will call or raise anything. It would also be a good idea to choose a loose table if applying this system.

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind normally your all in will not be called, you will pick up 3BB and with this strategy you will never be a high winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be nice to have some evidence for either side of this argument.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:23 PM

Postflop play just doesn't work like that. Pushing against any opponent on any board based only on the cards in your hand is nonsense. You hold a set on a monotone flop, you push? You hold the nut flush on a monotone flop and push? You're completely removing value bets and deception from your arsenal. You can't extract chips making bets that won't be called or by not allowing your opponents to hang themselves.

If you can't choose the size of your bets based on your opponents, stacks, position, and flop texture, learn how. You'll make a lot more money.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop play just doesn't work like that. Pushing against any opponent on any board based only on the cards in your hand is nonsense. You hold a set on a monotone flop, you push? You hold the nut flush on a monotone flop and push? You're completely removing value bets and deception from your arsenal. You can't extract chips making bets that won't be called or by not allowing your opponents to hang themselves.

If you can't choose the size of your bets based on your opponents, stacks, position, and flop texture, learn how. You'll make a lot more money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for the record I put $10 in pokerroom.com a couple weeks ago by playing just low limit games I am up to $75.10

Im not saying this system is better than good solid play. Im just thinking it might be a surefire way to get a decent profit. When you go all-in you have 70/30 favored odds at the least. I think I will just have to try this out tomarrow to see if it works. Thanks for the feedback any suggestions or criticism are welcomed.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just for the record I put $10 in pokerroom.com a couple weeks ago by playing just low limit games I am up to $75.10

[/ QUOTE ]

That's amazing, you have a working brain and set of eyes!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:43 PM

What do you do when you are in the big blinds and are forced to play a hand? Let's say you have a suited connector, are in the small blind and everyone has limped in, would you fold for a half a bet with all that money out there?

I think playing tight is the correct approach in lower limits, but you are probably passing up on too many opportunites that are +EV, especially against lower caliber players.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's amazing, you have a working brain and set of eyes!

[/ QUOTE ]
Just don't tell anyone.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when you are in the big blinds and are forced to play a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
check/fold unless you hit the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you have a suited connector, are in the small blind and everyone has limped in, would you fold for a half a bet with all that money out there?

[/ QUOTE ]
No need to donate more money. In my opinion even in the small blind you should stick to your system/strategy whether its this one or not. just my $.02