Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 PM

Default 10+1 hand. Horrible?

NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:15074131 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Monday, August 22, 20:09:50 EDT 2005
Table Table 11764 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: hutch1007 ( $800 )
Seat 5: jbhali ( $800 )
Seat 6: fivegees ( $800 )
Seat 7: hazel2nut ( $800 )
Seat 4: nickv2002 ( $800 )
Seat 3: mergoski ( $800 )
Seat 8: nsd4eva2 ( $800 )
Seat 10: schubeedoo ( $800 )
Seat 2: lefty63333 ( $800 )
Seat 9: jimob111 ( $800 )
Trny:15074131 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to nsd4eva2 [ Kd Ah ]
hutch1007 folds.
lefty63333 folds.
mergoski calls [15].
nickv2002 calls [15].
jbhali calls [15].
fivegees calls [15].
hazel2nut folds.
nsd4eva2 calls [15].

I didn't raise because I've been seeing you guys advocate just calling here. Was this a spot where I should raise?

jimob111 calls [5].
schubeedoo checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jh, Ad, 5h ]
jimob111 bets [45].
schubeedoo calls [45].
mergoski folds.
nickv2002 calls [45].
jbhali calls [45].
fivegees folds.
nsd4eva2 raises [345].

At this point, I've either lost or am up against 500 draws. Do I just call here? Can I fold? I know I should push here if I'm gonna raise; that was just a really dumb oversight.

jimob111 calls [300].
schubeedoo folds.
nickv2002 folds.
jbhali folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2h ]
jimob111 checks.
nsd4eva2 is all-In [440]
jimob111 is all-In [440]
** Dealing River ** [ 6s ]
jimob111 shows [ Js, 5s ] two pairs, jacks and fives.
nsd4eva2 shows [ Kd, Ah ] a pair of aces.
jimob111 wins 1810 chips from the main pot with two pairs, jacks and fives.
nsd4eva2 finished in tenth place.
nsd4eva2 has left the table.

I'm pretty aware that I played this wrong. Was my mistake preflop or the flop?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: 10+1 hand. Horrible?

[ QUOTE ]
Was my mistake preflop or the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Chances are if you had made a strong raise PF to around 80 the J5s would not have called.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was my mistake preflop or the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Chances are if you had made a strong raise PF to around 80 the J5s would not have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but that's results oriented. In general, should I raise here?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 PM

The people who want you to raise this pre-flop are the same ones who suggested just limping or making a small raise in similar situations in past threads.

Anyways, given your situation, you either need to be a HUGE raise, and play the flop aggressivley ... or play it passivley pre-flop, and check/fold unless you make something big. The former will win more often, but has higher variance, and the latter will win less often, but has less variance. (youll lose less)
Old 08-22-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who want you to raise this pre-flop are the same ones who suggested just limping or making a small raise in similar situations in past threads.

Anyways, given your situation, you either need to be a HUGE raise, and play the flop aggressivley ... or play it passivley pre-flop, and check/fold unless you make something big. The former will win more often, but has higher variance, and the latter will win less often, but has less variance. (youll lose less)

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I go option #2, what's huge?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:44 PM

I like raising preflop. I play AK passively in some spots and situations but you've got the button here. I make it 90ish.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like raising preflop. I play AK passively in some spots and situations but you've got the button here. I make it 90ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which spots and situations. I want very specific advice here if you guys are willing.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I go option #2, what's huge?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the former option, I like a raise to 165. (using Dalimans 3XBB+2X Limpers raising formula) I think its perfect for this scenario.

But once again, there are other more experienced posters who could help you out more. Hopefully youll get some other views on this.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:51 PM

From my experience in the $10+1, big hands preflop require big raises. It is always in your best interest to isolate with hands that most often can hold up on their own. AK may be a "drawing hand" but it is one that wins big when you flop top pair and get someone to chase you down with a lower kicker. You don't want to let drawing hands in cheaply as they are the ones that will break you if you do flop a pair (as in the instance above).

My general strategy for AK is a healthy raise preflop based on the number of limpers: no limpers means a 3x BB raise to create some action and not drive everyone out, while for each addition limper I increase my raise by about 1 more BB (this is in the early stages). Having position definately helps as you will miss the flop 2/3 of the time in which case I usually make a bet 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the pot on a ragged board, which your opponent will fold to unless they hit the flop or are expectionally fish (or the rare case that they play back at your with air). In the $10+1s, if I flop top pair with AK, I am generally taking the hand to the felt as there are just too many second best hands that will play back at you at this level to assume you are beating on what looks like a safe flop.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:51 PM

Preflop: I prefer to limp.( A poster once created a thread just to discuss the subject, search it. Note that on higher buyins u have to raise AK, ie: AT aint going all the way with TP).
Postflop: I bet 400 to get a call I might not get if I push.
Turn: I shove it in.
I play it just like you.
Im a somewhat decent player, not an authority but not a complete noob either.