Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Default I\'m not sure what to do here. PP 10+1

Should I have made a continuation bet? The flop seemed a bit threatening and I felt that I could easily be way behind.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

Hero (t675)
CO (t2420)
Button (t2160)
SB (t445)
BB (t830)
UTG (t545)
MP1 (t925)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, CO calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t175</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t550
Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: I\'m not sure what to do here. PP 10+1

The board is a little bit scarier, but this is basically a situation similar to one I posted here, so maybe that post will help you. There are some good responses there IMO.

Basically, you have to make a continuation bet in order to avoid the big stack betting with anything, and in order to not pot commit yourself, the continuation bet would have to be rather large, so you're looking at all in... which is scary on this board, I guess. I have been varying my play in the situation you describe, half limping + pushing any raise behind, half raising and pushing the flop unless it's very dangerous looking. This may be one of those circumstances where I would check/fold, even though it's weak/tight and I hate it.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 AM

Meh, I usually throw another 150 on the flop because it will take it down 80%+ of the time. Your line may be good here though. Thats a pretty bad board for you.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:28 AM

With a bigger stack, I'd toss 150 in, but after the preflop raise I have 525 left. If I toss in 150 and get reraised then what do I do? If I fold I'd have only 375 left.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a bigger stack, I'd toss 150 in, but after the preflop raise I have 525 left. If I toss in 150 and get reraised then what do I do? If I fold I'd have only 375 left.

Thanks for all the comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my reply? I think it addresses this exact question.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:36 AM

I read your reply, and in the situation you linked to in your other thread, I would probably have done the same. My point was that the flop seems too dangerous for any action that basically commits all of my chips, with a high chance of being way behind. I don't have much of a read and at the 10+1 the villian might call with any piece of the flop. Any bet less than 150 probably won't be very effective, and making the 150 bet may win me the pot, but it could also cripple me/bust me out if the villian reraises. Plus what would I do if he just calls?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:39 AM

That's why I think check/fold is ok on this board. I would not bet t150. If I was going to cont bet it would be all in. FWIW if the board was rags, I would be all in. If I limp I can cont bet without going all in. It's a tricky spot.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Whoops sorry I misunderstood your first post. Limping is definitely an option I will consider in the future. As I think about it, I think I like it more and more. I think I should have limped here and then folded. Of course the limp would make it harder to make the fold, as I have no idea what the CO has. It sounds a bit weak/tight, but having a smallish stack I'd prefer to use my chips in a better situation.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 AM

IMO, fold pre flop level 3 (not worth stealing these blinds); L4+ if checked to you and you have 10bb or less push, if raised to you... you fold, if limper(s) in front of you... read dependant... push if you think he'll fold or call with a mediocre hand

since you did not fold pf, either push or fold the flop. Normally I would not want to mess with the big stacks, but you have 2 big stacks that will act after you for the rest of the game, so your pushing hands don't get much better than this, and you now only have t500 left (soon to be 5xbb) so push the flop in this situation
Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, fold pre flop level 3

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding AQs preflop is bad advise. He will be a short stack forever if he does this.