Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 AM

Default First hand, flopped set

I'm wondering if I played this correctly. Obviously, there are no reads since this is my first hand at the table. I'm 90% sure I'm beaten by the river, but should I still have called the 2 bets with my FH in this very large pot?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (18.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 22.70 BB
Old 08-22-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: First hand, flopped set

Counterfeited full houses suck, but you can't call the river for 2, probably not even for 1.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:12 AM

Oh man, talk about the worst possible river. You're almost certainly beat, but I'd call anyway because I just can't fold a boat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 04:13 AM

Terrible river, I want to fold here, Don't think you are good one in ten times here, but personally would crying call and then throw my mouse

No, good river fold. Turn play seems alright but MP2's cap is very worrisome. Take note of WTF BB had that he donkbet each street with.

That does suck. But someone is going to stick arond with top pair after that flop or even second pair. Even though this is a big pot, I think you have to kick it in because for sure you are beaten.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:13 AM

This is for the guys making the crying call on the river. Are you nuts? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Do you really think there's ANY chance that neither of those two raisers have a J? I'd put it at 90% that they BOTH have a J (although it does worry me that OP posted this question in the first place).

Anyways, barring some miracle that OP would have won this hand, there's one more thing to think about. If we do call the two bets on the river there's a good chance we're going to have to call two more before we're done. BB didn't reraise on the river because he probably thought he was splitting the pot. However, if he has our dead money trapped in between (if we call) then he's probably going to kick it up again and MP2 will cap it.

So....for 4 BB I ain't calling here no way no how.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:17 AM

I make a lot of loose river calls, and this is one I would throw away, possibly even if it was just one bet, I certainly wouldn't overcall anyone. You can't call two bets, someone has to have you beat here.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:25 AM

Good fold. I would hate it, but it would have to be done. When things like this happen, I always try to look on the bright side, These people stayed in and sucked out on you...that won't happen very often...in fact , most of the time you get paid off big time!!! I used to let it bother me, but now, I just smile and say to myself, what a money-making table i've got here!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:26 AM

I'd click the "fold face up" button and instill the fear of GOD into the table.