Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Tight Passive in MT tourneys?

I recently talked to a friend of a friend who has done very well in online tourneys. As a college student he won over a 100g and a couple of trips last year. So i was very interested in asking him about his play. I assumed he would tell me he plays a tight aggressive game.

to the contrary he said he plays a tight passive game. Basically making the point that there are so many aggressive players out there, loose and tight, that he has found it better to not get too carried away with any particular hand unless its a lock and us usually happier calling down an aggressive player rather than being the aggressor himself.

thoughts on this? nothing too earth shattering here obviously
Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Tight Passive in MT tourneys?

im glad to hear he's never been run over and has had good enough cards to get where he is.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:26 PM

I think that he would be an easy player to read. Bets when he has it and folds when he doesn't. I would imagine that tight passive would be giving up a lot of chip to a loose aggressive who raised a lot of pots.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:09 PM

I think his system would only work if he gets the cards to back his play, without cards the blinds will eat him up, especially on-line.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:27 PM

Tight passive is much harder to play belive it or not. Not even due to the amount of patience and long hours that need be applied but you need a strong mental focus on what you want to achieve after watching yourself fold nut striaghts, flushes, and many winning hands. Not alot of people can handle that.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:48 PM

I think his play may have some value. When I play versus an aggro type, I will lay down a hand early in the tournament on the turn, knowing this play will help me later in the tournament. Most aggro types will carefully watch and pick on the weak tights. When the blinds go up and the stakes are greater, you can induce a bet on the turn and river by being labeled at a tight passive.

Yes, you may not get the action when you bet b.c. they will assume you have a hand. That is when you can bluff them out of a pot or when you have a monster you can call them down and then force them to call a bet on the river by betting an amount that forces them to call.

Again, this only works on the real aggro types and we know there are tons of them out there.

Stipe