Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Default I\'ve decided to be the biggest wuss in poker.

I have a bankroll of $800 and I'm not leaving the $11 till i have $1100. I'm 8 tabling the $11, till I hit the $1100 mark and then i'm going to slowly move into 8 tabling the $22. Fun stuff!

I've played the $22's and actually have a higher ROI and ITM then i do in the $11's. I just don't think I can mentally handle a huge dip in my BR with a bad losing streak.

Big wuss or smart management?

I'm leaning toward big wuss.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: I\'ve decided to be the biggest wuss in poker.

I think your a wuss. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 01:01 AM

I should have made this a poll, but it would kill my fragile ego to see 100% of the board thinks i'm a wuss.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 01:02 AM

Panzy! but better safe than sorry. If you think you cant handle a big downswing than just take it easy. No need to be in a huge hurry.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:10 AM

FWIW - I have single-tabled the $11, $22 and $33's, cashed out (at your current BR) a few times in the past 6 months.

If your goal is to make another $300 and you are any good at all, 8-tabling the $11's should get you there in about 1/2 a day.

Maybe you should try 4-tabling (or less) at the $22's until you have better skills and real money. Then you'll have a roll and the balls that might help you get through the downswings when you decide to move it on up.

SlackerMcNoob
Old 08-20-2005, 01:12 AM

I started with a roll of $500 and went through a horrible downswing. When my BR dipped below $300 I started to worry, went through my hand histories, talked to some friends and realized a couple of important errors I was making.

When I dipped I didn't worry about the BR I worried about how I was finishing and why I was exiting tournaments the way I was. It was nice not to have BR as the first worry on my mind.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:16 AM

That was suggested to me by a very good player on the 2+2 forums. I have definitly been considering going that route. I guess the next question is (And I know it's been asked a million times) i there a significant skill different between the $11 and the $22. From what i've heard. $6,$11,$22,$33 are about the same with each level a bit harder then the last. $55 is a jump, $109 is a big jump, and $215 is a significant jump. My goal is to 8 table the $33.

From the 200 or so tournaments I've played at the $22, beginning and end game felt a little bit tighter. Everything else felt about the same. I have 1000+ tourneys at the $11 so I have a pretty good feel for them.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was suggested to me by a very good player on the 2+2 forums. I have definitly been considering going that route. I guess the next question is (And I know it's been asked a million times) i there a significant skill different between the $11 and the $22. From what i've heard. $6,$11,$22,$33 are about the same with each level a bit harder then the last. $55 is a jump, $109 is a big jump, and $215 is a significant jump. My goal is to 8 table the $33.

From the 200 or so tournaments I've played at the $22, beginning and end game felt a little bit tighter. Everything else felt about the same. I have 1000+ tourneys at the $11 so I have a pretty good feel for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just made the jump from the 11s to the 22s. If you can beat the 11s there is no possible way you cannot beat the 22s. They are the exact same thing.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My goal is to 8 table the $33.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what steps are you taking to accomplish that goal?

The $22's might actually be a bit easier to beat because the players tend to be a bit more predictable (read: slightly fewer donks sucking out). The percentage is minimal, it's still a mine-field.

Good luck! Slacker
Old 08-20-2005, 03:12 AM

"And what steps are you taking to accomplish that goal?"

To me, the first step was seeing if i could 8 table the $11's. I wanted to see if i could handle the amount of information coming in as well as be able to react appropriately. I feel very comfortable 8 tabling the 11's. The best thing I did was I slowed down. I stopped making myself feel like I was rushed, and took the extra 3-5 seconds to make a correct decision instead of a hasty decision. This is obviously very important during bubble time. I've worked on my end game, read a lot, played even more. I got HoH 1 & 2 and have read throught them a couple of times, mainly focusing on the heads up and the short handed situations.

My next goal is to go step by step to 8 table 22's. I figured I would start with 1 22 and work my way up. If I don't feel any differences between the games (from what I heard I shouldn't) after a couple hundred tourneys I will jump to 8 tabling.

I've always felt more comfortable playing the 22's then the 11's, don't know why.