Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM

Default 10-10 with a short stack all-in and a flat call

I was really lost playing this hand. Should I have re-raised all-in pre-flop?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

Button (t1195)
SB (t1235)
BB (t5585)
UTG (t1365)
Hero (t2035)
MP1 (t620)
MP2 (t1265)
MP3 (t395)
CO (t1305)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t620 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls t620, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls t320.

Flop: (t1050) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (t1050) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1415 (All-In)</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t2465
Old 08-19-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: 10-10 with a short stack all-in and a flat call

you could try betting 400-500 and fold to a min-raise. it wouldn't be fun being shortstacked.

personally, I would have limped PF and mucked after shortie went all-in. its not worth the risk at 50/100 blinds. certainly not entering a desperating zone &amp; being out of positoin w/ TT any overcard is a bad card
Old 08-19-2005, 03:46 PM

Bet 400-500 pre flop or on the flop?

Also, limping with 10's in early position probably would have let me avoid this whole mess in the first place.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet 400-500 pre flop or on the flop?

Also, limping with 10's in early position probably would have let me avoid this whole mess in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not certain what the best line is post-flop once in this mess. however, I you could have avoided this mess by mucking PF or after the re-raise or a raise PF

limping certainly would have, you could have folded to a raise w/ a weak hand OOP?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:59 PM

I don't blame you for feeling a little lost. MP1's move obviously doesn't show a lot of strength - shortstacked, perfect time to isolate, etc. - but MP2 has seen a raise, a push behind the raise, and has called with six people to act behind, including the original raiser. Not a good sign. So I'm likely checking when I don't hit my set, as you did, and while I like the turn bet, I find it a little over the top. What flush would be in this pot that isn't the nut flush? And why does the nut flush bet almost one-and-a-half times the pot? I'd be calling your all-in with a set or a high pocket pair, diamond or no diamond. I'd call PF rather than muck or re-raise though, getting 5-1. Very tough to muck those odds, regardless of the strength shown.

Having said all that, I'm hardly confident of any line here. One thing I don't like is limping. TT likes heads-up or the multiway pot, and multiway is unlikely given the blinds and the stacks.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call PF rather than muck or re-raise though, getting 5-1. Very tough to muck those odds, regardless of the strength shown.

Having said all that, I'm hardly confident of any line here. One thing I don't like is limping. TT likes heads-up or the multiway pot, and multiway is unlikely given the blinds and the stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you're not confident of any line but what would be the best one to take?

When a similiar situation comes up again I will still have no idea how to play it. Limping seems a little weak because I don't want to play 10-10 merely for set value.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this hand? They would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I agree that calling the re-raise PF was way better than folding or re-raising.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:31 PM

If MP2 seems at all solid, I fold this to the preflop re-raise. A smooth-call for half his stack is very scary, and you don't have the odds to play for a set. Not to mention you're out of position AND the pot is protected.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:54 PM

You open-raised well (I'd bet slightly less, something like 275, but that's neither here nor there), but MP2's call is intimidating.

His position scares me, and he has a tight range in my opinion (again, because of his calling of a reraise OOP). His tight range overcomes any pot odds you may be getting here, so I'd muck the hand.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:03 AM

Fair enough. Not that my line is "the best line to take", but I'd lead out on the flop for 645 exactly: MP2's remaining stack. Very difficult to call if he missed that flop. If he's got JJ-AA, he's got it, if not, you should be fine. He's got the positional advantage, but you have the advantage of having him covered. He'll have a small, but not hopeless stack left if he folds, and you'll have the same if you're beaten. That's all very easy to say since I know he folded on the turn, but there it is.

There's always the possibility of checking this one down, as many players like to do when another is all-in, but I've never liked this move. I'd rather give myself a better chance to win this pot, and collusion (even if tacit collusion) is always a little questionable.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:25 AM

Actually, I'm beginning to think that we might have odds. Unless my calculations are wrong, I'm thinking that the odds of hitting a set with a PP PF-to the River is a little worse that 20%, or 4-1. If we were to re-raise MP2 for his whole stack, we're against two all-ins, five cards to come, with about 3-1 pot odds. So the set odds get us a lot of the way there. Are we 100% confident that we lose without the set? I think that I'm willing to gamble on this, given that I'll have a short (but not piddly) stack if I lose, and if I win, I've knocked out two villains and I'm in a position to challenge. It's just a SNG, and I can think of worse places to roll the dice.

I can think of better ones too though.