Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Is it true that ESPN is not airing the women\'s event this year?

My friend told me this. I was really looking forward to seeing how J. Tilly did it.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Is it true that ESPN is not airing the women\'s event this year?

It was not part of their scheduled tapings. But, they probably got some footage of Tilly at the final table.

ESPN blew it on this one and Chan's tenth bracelet win.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:55 AM

ESPN has been horrible this year. You would think they'd smarten up and give us more coverage. I don't even know why I continue to watch the all in hour they give us.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM

They filmed it when it got down to the final 4. I watched some of it live. They originally were not going to tape it at all. Once they found out tilly was a chip leader, and it was 4am, they decided to come back the next afternoon for a taping. I talked with one of the players husband and he said his wife didn't want to cuz she didn't think she was very photogenic. But she went along with it anyway. You can be the judge as to who that might have been.

It only went about 35 hands I think at that point. I left after the first half hour.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big time.

you would think that when you've got Johnny chan at the table you would just automatically start filming the whole thing.
In fact, they could just pretty much shoot as many of the final-tables as possible and if something big comes out of it (like Chan's 10th bracelet...or a famous actrss like Tilly winning a freaking WSOP bracelet) then go ahead and just edit in some commentary from Lon and Norm.

I'm surprised they didn't shoot the ladies event again anyway.
You've got a bunch of guys (mostly) watching this stuff on TV...and some of the women are modestly attractive.

I would think the angle of "hey! these girls are pretty good at the game too...and they can PROVE IT." (like they take on the WPT Ladies Night out events) is one they would want to continue anyway.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:16 PM

ESPN is getting worse and worse at covering poker. You know its bad when they show hands already in progress after a commercial break.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and not taping the 10K PLO event and the drama that followed was another big mistake. With all the $$$ ESPN is making off poker you think they could buy enough tape stock to record all the events with potential and just edit them down later.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:21 PM

you're crazy - women don't play poker [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN is getting worse and worse at covering poker. You know its bad when they show hands already in progress after a commercial break.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive made this complaint like 40 times. why does espn think we want to see what cards people have and no action with one card to come when someone is 80% to win a hand...wow, how exciting...

rj
Old 08-19-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and not taping the 10K PLO event and the drama that followed was another big mistake. With all the $$$ ESPN is making off poker you think they could buy enough tape stock to record all the events with potential and just edit them down later.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need quite a bit of manpower to record 45 tournaments, with several of them going very long hours. The reason given for them not filming the 10k PLO for TV was to give them a week's break before the ME started.

Regarding their not filming the women's event, it was a terrible move in hindsight. However, last year's ladies' final didn't have any recognizable names, and with Annie Duke at the final table of the Omaha 8 taking place at the same time, they dedicated time to showing that. Expect this year's $2500 NL to get the abbreviated treatment as they'll cover Johnny Chan's and Jennifer Tilly's wins on that show.

Another note, the original ESPN schedule listing has them airing the 2k NL on October 4, when they'll be showing Doyle Brunson's win in the 5k NL shorthanded event. The events of Chan/Tilly helped them later on to change priorities when the situation warranted.

Regarding coming back from commercials "midway" thru a hand. I'm sure many of those situations are when someone is severely shortstacked and it becomes headsup right away, there's not much you can do with that. This was done last year as well, and there were other times they just showed someone leaving the table.

It would be nice to get more extensive coverage of these final tables and make them 90-120 minutes to reduce the number of times each show gets repeated. But what they've done so far has worked for them very well.