Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 AM

Default I increased my aggression in level 3 a lot, thoughts?

I have become a lot more aggressive in level 3 pushing hands in situations like this:

4 handed, villain has around 2000 chips and I have around 2000 chips (for the sake of demonstration assume the other 2 have 2000 chips as well)

UTG villain raises to 200, I push with QQ on the button. Normally I would make some sort of re-raise to 500, but screw that, just shove it all in. Post-flop play is for wusses!

Another situation, it's 6 handed and all stacks are fairly equal at around 600 chips except for one large stack UTG who folds. 1 limper UTG + 1, folded to me in the CO with JJ. I just push. Usually I was making a 200 chip raise, but pfft, what if the flop whiffs me and comes with an A, K or Q then I am crippled! Screw it, shove em in!

Bascially what I am trying to say here is I am pushing in situations with 15xBB when I see limpers ahead of me with strong hands like 99+, AK, AQ, etc or shoving with really strong hands like QQ+ and AK with a raiser ahead of me when both the raiser and I have large stacks in relations to the blinds.

In my mind this eliminates post-flop mistakes (which I make too many of) and keeps me from ending up with a REAL short stack hitting level 4 if I whiff a flop.

Agreed or am I just a whackjob batch?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: I increased my aggression in level 3 a lot, thoughts?

AT level 3 i still only play premium hands ($55). But if i have alot of chips and the villian does too, i will usually just push hands like QQ+ or AK, because some ppl will still call you with trashy hands, and you can make a huge double up.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:45 AM

Shove 15-20bb with limpers in front? No problemo!

I wouldn't shove 30bbs after limpers though - say we all had 1500 chips at level 3, no way I'm pushing them, not with TT, not with AA. I call or bump to 250-350.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have become a lot more aggressive in level 3 pushing hands in situations like this:

4 handed, villain has around 2000 chips and I have around 2000 chips (for the sake of demonstration assume the other 2 have 2000 chips as well)

UTG villain raises to 200, I push with QQ on the button. Normally I would make some sort of re-raise to 500, but screw that, just shove it all in. Post-flop play is for wusses!

Another situation, it's 6 handed and all stacks are fairly equal at around 600 chips except for one large stack UTG who folds. 1 limper UTG + 1, folded to me in the CO with JJ. I just push. Usually I was making a 200 chip raise, but pfft, what if the flop whiffs me and comes with an A, K or Q then I am crippled! Screw it, shove em in!

Bascially what I am trying to say here is I am pushing in situations with 15xBB when I see limpers ahead of me with strong hands like 99+, AK, AQ, etc or shoving with really strong hands like QQ+ and AK with a raiser ahead of me when both the raiser and I have large stacks in relations to the blinds.

In my mind this eliminates post-flop mistakes (which I make too many of) and keeps me from ending up with a REAL short stack hitting level 4 if I whiff a flop.

Agreed or am I just a whackjob batch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing into limpers with a good hand and a 15BB stack can't be all bad. But I think in your first example, 4 handed with QQ and 40BBs, pushing is just lazy (a possible function of 80 tabling).

EDIT: I have no idea why I decided to quote your original post. Or why I'm posting this instead of just editing out the quote. I'm high, you'll have to forgive me.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm high, you'll have to forgive me.

[/ QUOTE ]

with a name like flyingmoose...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:51 AM

Some eejat pushed all in at a $33 to my normal t45 raise at level 1 last night, I had QQ. Thought to myself, no way he does that with AA or KK, doubtful with AKs, so I called, well he did have AKs. But MHWG. People are so petrified of post flop play sometimes, I swear.