Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2003, 01:11 PM

Default NBC Severs Ties With Journalist Peter Arnett

NBC, MSNBC fire Peter Arnett

Didn't NBC do a 180 from yesterday i.e. weren't they defending him yesterday? I guess this is clear cut proof that the news media is controlled by the US government after all thus there is no freedom of the press in the USA.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Re: NBC Severs Ties With Journalist Peter Arnett

I know this. If an Aljazeera reporter did an interview with NBC stating that the US bombing campaign was sapping the will of the locals in Baghdad, two things would happen:

1. The Aljazeera reporter would be fired.
2. NBC would cite the firing up as proof of censorship and agenda pushing by the Arab media.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:36 PM

You may be surprised in that I actually have a problem with this firing at least for the apparent reasons. Apparently someone strenuously objected to Arnett's continued use by NBC (his employment status is unclear to me) after NBC came out and defended him. I'm reading that it was advertisors that demanded he be fired but it could have been something else.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:01 PM

Another element might have been that tne bigwig decision makers were unavailable on Sunday and once they were consulted on Monday morning, Arnett was gone. This might account for the apparent 180 degree turnaround from Sunday to Monday.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:28 PM

"I know this. If an Aljazeera reporter did an interview with NBC stating that the US bombing campaign was sapping the will of the locals in Baghdad, two things would happen:

1. The Aljazeera reporter would be fired.
2. NBC would cite the firing up as proof of censorship and agenda pushing by the Arab media.
"

Gee you inadvertantly left out #3 Clarkmeister.
3. The reporter would be killed and then displayed publicly to deter any more interviews by others.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:33 PM

Possibly. Though I suspect its more likely that he would "disappear".

What's your take on the Arnett firing?
Old 03-31-2003, 03:59 PM

I am not well versed on this story, but I was wondering: Has anyone considered the possibility that Arnett was either forced, or at the least coerced, into his appearance on Iraqi TV?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:01 PM

"What's your take on the Arnett firing?"

I bet you know the answer to this question already. Let me put it this way, it is a good thing you do not work for NBC or MSNBC else you'd be back at the poker table full time. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I believe he had every right to express his opinion. With that said he also had every reason to expect to be fired. Since he apologized publicly today he must not have expected the result. Therefore I consider him not too smart, not for having his opinion but for failing to realize the probable consequences of his actions. In that respect he has a great deal in common with Saddam.

This is what helps make America great. Even a person with little to no common sense can become very influential. (I gave an opening here to Nicky g and IrishHand to bash someone in particular if they so choose).

Old 03-31-2003, 04:04 PM

"I am not well versed on this story, but I was wondering: Has anyone considered the possibility that Arnett was either forced, or at the least coerced, into his appearance on Iraqi TV?

Not in My wildest dreams! If it had been Geraldo Riviera or Bill O'Reilly I could then think of no other alternative. Since it was Arnett or if it had been Ted Koppel no doubt it was voluntary and sincere.

Old 03-31-2003, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Analogy Doesn\'t Work

Al Jazeera doesn't work as an analogy because it is not owned by the state with whom we are at war. The Iraqu state television exists to prop Saddam and the government up. It is state owned. Arnett should be fired and should consider himself lucky to avoid losing his citizenship or being prosecuted for treason. He deliberately gave aid and comfort to the enemy during the war. One can be a journalist and report bad facts without crossing the line. But Arnett clearly crossed the line. He's a traitor basically. Maybe he and Cronkite can do lunch.