Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Meeting with David Sklansky

I do not want to start a RGP like controversy, but have decided to post this after some careful thought.

I was in Las Vegas on business 10 days ago and stopped at the Bellagio to play poker. When I arrived I saw David Sklansky. He was at the counter in the back purchasing chips and was by himself. I asked him if his name was David and he nodded. I told him that I have read all of his books and enjoyed them very much. He said "Oh" and walked away. I still can't believe how rude he acted.

By way of background, I am the CEO of a company which employs about 350 people. Last week I convened a meeting to discuss customer relations. Particular stress was placed on having our supervisors monitor customer interaction with our employees. If anything like this ever happens, I will terminate the employee. In fact, if my employees treat the people who work for them in a condescending and rude manner, we will take action.

If poker teaches life lessons, I learned one at the Bellagio.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Meeting with David Sklansky

Perhaps his name was David Mergatroid and he never wrote a book in his life! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 03:57 PM

"Mergatroid" lol. . .
Old 03-31-2003, 04:15 PM

What is wrong with 'oh' ? At least he didn't tell you to get lost. Do you think that since you read all of his books, he owes you a conversation ?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:32 PM

well if you had 50 or so people want to have a conversation with you everytime you went someplace, you might feel differently. maybe he dosent want to talk poker with everyone that wants his advice. maybe he should have been more polite, who knows, but maybe he had important thoughts and didnt want to lose the trend to make small talk with a stranger. its his choice.
he was buying chips, his businees time. if during your business time people come to your office just to talk would you see all of them or just brush them off. i bet they dont get past your secretary.
you are so wrong here pal.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:39 PM

Ray,

I don't think the initial poster was asking for a 15 minute interview. I suspect that if the one word issued by David was "thanks" rather than "oh", it would have left an entirely different impression on the poster.

This provides, of course, that the story is accurate, which it may not be.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:44 PM

I can relate here. Constantly while playing online people come up and say, "are you the acesover8s that posts on 2+2?"

to which i used to say "yes".

And then they respond with either:

You don't understand anything about poker do you?
Good, i'm reading your posts right now to figure out how to play against you.
You sure TALK a good game.

or occasionally it will just be a string of asterisks, but I dont know what that means.

So now, I just say, "oh, no, I'm Aces Mergatroid, totally different guy"

Old 03-31-2003, 06:05 PM

"So now, I just say, "oh, no, I'm Aces Mergatroid, totally different guy"

Heh Acesover8s I think one of the newer posters here met your brother David this past weekend. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2003, 06:52 PM

Ray:

I tend to agree with Clark. If the story is accurate, the gentleman simply said he had read David's books and enjoyed them. A simple thank you is not too much to ask. If the guy starts trying to talk poker with Dave or pick his brain, then Dave has the right to blow him off. The guy has spent money buying Dave's books, which puts money in Dave's pockets. If someone says I read your book and enjoyed it, is it really too much to expect a simple thank you? I do think this guy is over reacting a bit, but he is not as off base as you state also.--Big Al--
Old 03-31-2003, 07:21 PM

I understand what you're saying here, he did seem a bit rude and short the way you described it, it's not like he was in the middle of a hand or anything. That's no way to treat a customer, which is what you are to him. I'm no superstar athlete or anything, but when I'm at the ballfield and there's a few people that want autographs I gladly give them and say thanks for coming out to the game, b/c they in fact are my customers. My checks say Cleveland Indians, but the fans pay my salary. You just can not blow people off like that.

-D.J.