Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 07:50 PM

Default 5/10 6max hand, river question

4 handed on party. All of the players are decent I guess. Its likely that all of the players at the table are normal winning players.

Villain in this hand has 1400 in the SB and I have 1200 in the BB.

folded to the sb who completes. I raise to 40 with 77 and he calls.

Flop is A85r; he checks, I bet 65, he calls. Now I'm done with the hand basically.

Turn is a 3h, making two hearts. check, check

river is an offsuit 7. He pauses and checks, I bet 200 which is about the size of the pot and then he pops it up 300 more. Can I reraise here, or just call? Is it even close?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: 5/10 6max hand, river question

What do you put him on? 2 pair?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:15 PM

Push, find a better table
Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 PM

i like just calling here. the only hands he will pay off a raise with is 55 or 33, which is possible, but there are more combinations of possible straights that he could have, so call.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:41 PM

Call, find a better table. Better hand combos > worse hand combos that will pay you, and w/adjustments made for the action thus far it seems even more likely he's holding 64 than lower set/two pair.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:31 PM

No "decent" player slowplayed a good hand on the turn with draws out or failed to bet a winning hand on the end expecting you to, so I would reraise everytime, though the possibility of his making a bluff checkraise seems high which will result in no call. I would actually read him for a pocket pair like QQ/JJ trying to get you off a weak ace.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 AM

I didn't think 88 was a possibility at all, because he probably would have raised preflop. 55 and 33 are both possibilities, and believe it or not but I think slowplayed AA is too. There are also a bunch of aces up hands that he could have like A7 A3 etc, which I am not sure would pay off a raise (A8 might, not sure about the others). The main thing about this hand is that it's really hard believe he could possibly have a straight here...

I could have a straight here though so he might be afraid to call with a lot of stuff that I beat.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No "decent" player slowplayed a good hand on the turn with draws out or failed to bet a winning hand on the end expecting you to, so I would reraise everytime, though the possibility of his making a bluff checkraise seems high which will result in no call. I would actually read him for a pocket pair like QQ/JJ trying to get you off a weak ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think QQ and JJ are eliminated just by him not raising preflop, I don't see him trying to slowplay either of those hands.

Why couldn't a "decent" player go for turn CR? I think that's very possible, its just that most players would just value bet the river after the turn goes check check.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:35 AM

I think this is an easy call. almost everything you beat folds and there are plenty of hands better than yours out there.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM

I think a reraise is very thin and it is pretty close. I think you have the best hand but as you said he probably folds most things you beat to a reraise. in spots like this having an insane image or a long sparring history really seems to help.

--turnipmonster