Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Michelle Wie Is God

Clear 3rd; 2 ahead of Pak & HugeMama; 1 back of Yipnnika; 4 back of the Freedom chick. First time she's made a cut, after three tries last year. Oh yeah, it's a major.

6' tall, neck & shoulders like a lion(or maybe a tiger... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), 300+ yd drives. 13 years old.

Gotta lose the old man as caddy-coach, forget about college, and spend 3-4 hours a day on the short game, but the PGA tour sure seems like a 50-50 shot. The LPGA calendar Slam by 2010 seems like a 90% shot.

Tomorrow I'm watching the Dinah mainly, flipping to the Player's during commercials.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Michelle Wie Is God

Ya, I missed her round today. Amazing. I'll check it out tomorrow. All I say was Yipnika as you call her and the Frenchie batting putts about the 18th. Horrendous display of putting on that hole. I'd be ashamed of Annika's putt and I'm about a 12 right now.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Michelle Wie Is God

I'm such a huge Michelle Wei fan its unreal.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Back To Earth

Well, obviously, she's only 13. But, it appears she'd be up by 2 or 3 if she was even a mediocre putter. Having the caddie lining up putts is a really bad habit to get into, IMO. It sure doesn't seem to help; remember Faldo a few years ago?

From reading between the lines, I think the ol' man's starting to get on her nerves on the greens esp. The Earl, Jacky & Arnie's dads, and many others all either took the hemlock or got whacked by their boys when the time came, and for Mr. Wie, that time has come.

But she's still an amazing talent. True prodigy. As for Yipnnika, w/o question the worst putter of any player w/four or more majors. Just awful, like a 45 year old Watson. Of course, she's likely the best Total Driver and GIRer, so there ya go. But she's gonna get hammered at Colonial. Moided.

BTW, I think the Freedom chick that won has a smokin' bod. Rate her right behind Cristie Kerr for best on Tour. Overall hottest LPGA'er=Suzann Petterson. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re:TV Coverage and Wie\'s dad

Worst thing ever on TV today. I'm trying to watch Wie and they wont show her. One one hole, Wie is hitting driver and they show Annika standing by watching Wie hit while putting the specs of Annika's driver on TV. Like I care she's hitting a 46" Big Bertha w/ 8.5 degrees loft, D-2 swingweight, and stiff graphite shaft while Wie is hitting. That had me screaming at the TV. But the kid is amazing even if she can't putt yet.

Mr. Wie needs to go away. I can sorta understand carrying the bag to save money since he's spending 50K a year on her golf. But he needs to get out of her way. I hate how LPGA caddies seem to check aim and alignment on every shot, and I think it's death for a 13 year old. If he insists on caddying he should keep up, shut up, watch the ball, clean the ball, clean the clubs, rake the traps. He shouldn't even get her yardages at 13 Y/O IMO. An occasional nice shot or hang in there would be OK. Earl didn't tote the clubs for Tiger. And Jack's dad sure didn't. Maybe golf fathers with weak hearts is OK for the player. You mentioned Kerr for other reasons, but I think Mr. Kerr drove her nuts and needed to be fired too. I think Michelle should try to graduate high school early and go to Stanford like she wants instead of going pro early. Keeping an ocean between her and daddy would be good. And at college she'll have to learn to read her own damn putts with a hangover. It will be good for her.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:28 AM

Default Michelle\'s Putting & TV Coverage

She took 12 more today than yesterday, missed two shorties on Sat, and at least a handful more during the first two rounds. Impossible to say, and again she's only 13, but you wonder if a professional caddy(or at least not a hyperventilating daddy) woulda calmed her down. She makes half and she wins.

The TV coverage was horrible. The LPGA is always shown & announced atrociously, except for the US Open & Solheim Cup. I actually think Miller does a better job there than on the men.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:41 AM

Default Speaking of caddies. . .

I heard that Tom Watson has announced he will pay all of his longtime caddy's medical bills, which are expected to run up to $200,000 (per year?); he has Lou Gehrig's disease and no medical insurance.

Admirable, to be sure; and I've always been a big Watson fan; and maybe I'm missing part of the story. But why make an announcement, why not just do it and, if asked, just say please respect his privacy, as, for example, Robin Williams has done when asked if he is financially assisting Christopher Reeves (they attended Julliard together)?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Speaking of caddies. . .

Why would he announce it? I don't know.
But possibly Bruce announced it, and Tom only confirmed.
Another question:
Didn't Bruce caddy for Greg Norman several years?
Didn't Greg just purchase the largest privately owned yacht on the planet? "Hey, Greg, how bout a little sumthin for the effort?"