Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 02:30 AM

Default 2 bubble hands

This was the 2nd time in a row that SB open pushed into me when he had the chance. I was very tempted to call (1.86:1 odds). I knew I was getting a great price, but figured if I folded, I still had FE on the guy on my left. SB had just enough chips to make me hestitant to call. Who calls here?

Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 9: TOMMYTBONE7 ( $1373 )
Seat 10: gnumsplo1tz ( $665 )
Seat 6: HERO ( $1135 )
Seat 7: SwHiFi ( $1225 )
Seat 8: bigdaddykdp ( $3602 )

Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Jd 7s ]
SwHiFi folds.
bigdaddykdp folds.
TOMMYTBONE7 folds.
gnumsplo1tz is all-In [565]
Your time bank will become active in less than 20 seconds. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
HERO will be using his time bank for this hand.
HERO folds.
gnumsplo1tz does not show cards.
gnumsplo1tz wins 865 chips

I seem to advocate a little more patience on the bubble than alot of players. Stuff like this (3 hands later) is why:

Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 9: TOMMYTBONE7 ( $1373 )
Seat 6: HERO ( $835 )
Seat 7: SwHiFi ( $925 )
Seat 8: bigdaddykdp ( $4867 )

Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 2s Ah ]
HERO folds.
SwHiFi calls [200].
bigdaddykdp calls [100].
TOMMYTBONE7 is all-In [1173]
SwHiFi is all-In [725]
bigdaddykdp folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, 5d, 6c ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6d ]
** Dealing River ** [ Ts ]
TOMMYTBONE7 shows [ Td, Ac ] two pairs, tens and sixes.
SwHiFi shows [ 2h, 2d ] two pairs, sixes and twos.
TOMMYTBONE7 wins 448 chips from side pot #1 with two pairs, tens and sixes.
TOMMYTBONE7 wins 2050 chips from the main pot with two pairs, tens and sixes.
SwHiFi finished in fourth place. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
SwHiFi has left the table.

I'm interested in the first hand though. I had no reason to put the SB on anything other than any two, but I chose to forego the pot odds in favor of keeping my FE against the guy to my left. Calling and losing would have crippled me, but I was truly torn. It sure felt like a wuss fold. Who would've called?

Edit: Before I get any replies, after thinking about the hand, I believe that I should have called. Meh.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: 2 bubble hands

Try putting his range on "any 2" and running SGNPT. Then, change your "call & lose" equity to zero. Is calling still profitable? I think it was ChrisV who taught me this trick.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try putting his range on "any 2" and running SGNPT. Then, change your "call & lose" equity to zero. Is calling still profitable? I think it was ChrisV who taught me this trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without checking yet, I take it that your gut tells you that it was a good fold? Thanks for the advice either way. Sounds like a good way to go about attacking the problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in the first hand though. I had no reason to put the SB on anything other than any two, but I chose to forego the pot odds in favor of keeping my FE against the guy to my left. Calling and losing would have crippled me, but I was truly torn. It sure felt like a wuss fold. Who would've called?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1 is a bad fold imo. You're getting good odds, and it only costs you 365 chips, so you're not totally crippled if you lose. If he's pushing any 2, you should call. You still have big stack in the BB when you're the button, so pushing isn't going to be that great either with a subpar hand. And, how is big stack playing? If he's raising or limping every hand, you're not going to get a chance to push from the SB, so conserving FE isn't that big of an edge. I take the pot odds and call here.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Isura, it's actually costing me 465 to call. I'd be down to 470 if I call and lose. Does that change anything for you?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to advocate a little more patience on the bubble than alot of players. Stuff like this (3 hands later) is why:

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, you basically killed any solid chances of finishing in the real money, but HEY, you squeaked into 3rd place! High Five!

I'm kidding, kinda. You're getting over 2:1 on your call. Call this in a flash. Yes, sometimes you'll bust out, but those chips will be powerful if you want to finish first in the tourney.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isura, it's actually costing me 465 to call. I'd be down to 470 if I call and lose. Does that change anything for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he all in for 565 total or 565 more? That could change things.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting over 2:1 on your call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree that I should have called, but I was getting under 2:1 (1.86:1 to be exact). I thought it was close, and at a higher buy-in, I'm pretty sure I would have called. But sometimes at 11s or 22s, if the decision is very close, I tend to err on the side of sticking around and letting my opponents implode. At a 33, I'd call in a flash.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 PM

Opponent started the hand with 665, posted the small blind of 100, raised 565 to 665, I'm guessing. 465 to call into a pot of 1330.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is he all in for 565 total or 565 more? That could change things.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had 665 before posting the SB of 100, so he pushed for a total of 665, making it 465 for me to call.

865 in the pot, 465 for me to call. Again, I know I've got the pot odds, I was weighing two factors: 1) the loss of FE by losing the hand and 2) the stupidity of my opponents, who often can be counted on to make a terrible mistake if I stay patient. For example, if I call and lose this hand, the guy with 22 three hands later probably just folds pre-flop because I would be crippled and he would try to fold ITM. I don't think he would have busted out if I was sitting there with t470. That played into my thinking somewhat in what I viewed as a close decision.

It could have gone either way and I'm not trying to justify my fold. As I said, I think I should have called, but do you guys think it was at least a close decision?