Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Ok guys. Admit it. Poker is NOT cool.

I went to 7/11 lastnight at 2am, and I met this cute girl that I vaguely recognized from school. We talked for a minute, and she asked if I wanted to exchange numbers. So, I say sure, and I end up hanging out with her and her friends until about 7am over at my place. We played cards, drank beer, talked, and had a pretty cool time.

So, at one point in the night, one of them asked me what I do. I tried to give a cover answer. "I do small scale, short term, low risk, high return investment." Anyway, they wanted details, and bugged me about it for a little while, until I finally folded, and told them exactly what I "invest" in.

They're all young like me (22ish) so they were nice about it. I explained that I don't like to tell people what I do because they judge me for it, and it seemed ok. However, I can never be sure if I'm being judged or not.

Here's my theory. I think poker is like the mafia. Certain people think its cool, and they are totally oblivious to the fact that most people think the exact opposite. Also, just like the mafia, no one that doesn't play poker has any idea what its like to do it for a living. On the other hand, everyone THINKS they know what its like because of the stupid things they've heard from people they know or because of the portrayals or it in movies.

So, whereas everyone knows what you mean when you say "I am a lawyer", no one even knows what you are talking about when you say "I play cards". When you say "I play cards" to person A they hear "I am a sicko gambler". When you say it to person B, they hear "I am a filthy criminal", or person C hears "I am a dirty lowlife unable to work a real job" or person D hears "I am a millionaire" or person E hears "I am a math genius, but also an amoral hustler."

I honestly think its more precise to say my cover story than to say I play cards. What do you guys do?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Ok guys. Admit it. Poker is NOT cool.

first of all, don't give a bunch of vague details because it only peaks their curiosity. and if that is your goal, tell them you are in investing for a bank, and its confidentail and that you are not allowed to talk about it.

but the truth is though, your mouths shouldnt be used for talking if you are drinking with a cute girl and her friends from 2am to 7am. get my drift?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...your mouths shouldnt be used for talking if you are drinking with a cute girl and her friends from 2am to 7am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly the mouth is used for sticking your foot into.

On a more serious note, stick with the cover story. I agree with Goodnews about not giving them a tease. My suggestion? Say you're an independent software developer. Nobody ever asks questions.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:15 AM

"I do small scale, short term, low risk, high return investment" is so convoluted it's just begging for explanation. If you want to be semi-honest try, "I'm a full-time speculator" or something like that.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:18 AM

Just say you're a fisherman.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just say you're a fisherman.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
Old 08-15-2005, 01:31 AM

Try this: Tell them you're a "professional poker player".
kinda takes the stink out, lol.
Adding the word "professional" to anything gives it a kind of cache.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:33 AM

or gives the person a sense of delusion.

ie im a professional clown, professional sandwich packer, professional dishwasher, professional manucurist
Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 AM

Yeah, its gottta be one of the worst covers stories ever [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, whereas everyone knows what you mean when you say "I am a degenerate gambler," no one even knows what you are talking about when you say "I am a lawyer". When you say "I am a lawyer" to person A they hear "I am a sicko ambulance chaser". When you say it to person B, they hear "I am a filthy corporate criminal," or person C hears "I am a dirty lowlife unable to get into a real program so I went to law school" or person D hears "I am a millionaire" or person E hears "I am a defender of those who have no defense, but also an amoral hustler."

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP cuz I think poker is cool. Not everyone does a job they enjoy or society finds high praise for. People will judge you no matter what you do. Get drunk, then call her.