Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 04:17 PM

Default $109s - Weird line with weak TP

Anyone like this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

SB (t970)
BB (t955)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t955)
MP2 (t1030)
MP3 (t1000)
CO (t1090)
Hero (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t57.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t60) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t30</font>, UTG+2 calls t30, Hero calls t30, SB folds.

River: (t150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t55</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls t55.

Final Pot: t260
Old 08-14-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: $109s - Weird line with weak TP

I fold preflop.

I like your line post flop.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:49 PM

Thanks for your posts, Unarmed. Keep 'em coming. They have been really good at prodding me to start thinking outside the box for my postflop play. So far, I like the results. OK, onto this hand...

preflop: I occassionaly like to limp hands like this on the button and use my position and betting impetus to take down small pots that nobody wants on the flop (when I miss). I have no problem with the limp here to mix things up once in a while.

flop: Perfect, right? Nobody seems to like the flop, let's pick it up. Hell, we even made a hand. Nothing wrong with betting.

The trouble with betting the flop is that the board is quite coordinated, where do we stand with TPNK when we get called? Do we bet the turn hoping to charge draws and take a free showdown? Do we check behind and call a river bet? Or just check/fold the turn?

So you checked, which I think is fine. Checking allows us to keep the pot small and reevaluate things on the turn depending on the action and what card comes, and possibly get some more value out of TP.

turn: The 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a pretty nice card. Puts another flush draw on the board, but still looks good for us. I don't see anything to do on the turn except call.

river: Another good card for us, no obvious draws were completed. The action suggests that our hand is likely the best, so a value bet makes sense. I think this bet is somewhat questionable, but our opponents have done nothing to make me think that TP isn't good.

The flop is the most questionable part of your line in my eyes. I would usually bet this flop and hope to take the pot down, but I do like the line you took. Your line is much less likely to get you into serious trouble with a marginal hand.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t57.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your line only makes sense if your opponents are going to often check-call a decent king from EP, or check/raise their trip 5s/fdraws here. I can't make this judgement about your opponents (mostly in regard on how they'd play a medium-weak king here), but at the 109s I'd assume this would be in their standard repertoire.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (t60) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t30</font>, UTG+2 calls t30, Hero calls t30, SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
River: (t150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t55</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls t55.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point he has probably been calling with a pair of 6s, Qs, or a busted draw. You would've heard from something else. Good value bet.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:44 PM

I liked it. Probably would prefer one or two limpers before playing a hand like this myself.

Postflop I'd probably bet 50 on the flop to take it down right there but checking and trusting your K is good certainly enables you to win more without huge risk since you aren't married to your hand if bad things happen on the turn/river.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:55 PM

What was your reasoning with the 55 bet into a pot of 150 on the river?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM

TEACHER'S PET!!!! TEACHER'S PET!!!!!

sorry, that won't happen again.

I would bet that flop all day but I'm quite confident you have a solid reason for not doing so.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM

i think that call pre-flop is really bad. postflop looks good.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:19 PM

how many tables are you playing at a time?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked it. Probably would prefer one or two limpers before playing a hand like this myself.

Postflop I'd probably bet 50 on the flop to take it down right there but checking and trusting your K is good certainly enables you to win more without huge risk since you aren't married to your hand if bad things happen on the turn/river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it too but with additional limpers the pot will become larger and it will be far more likely to be outkicked.