Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Default \"God\" Language for PTB

Last night I watched Vernon, Florida, one of my favorite documentaries, for the first time in nearly twenty years. I had forgotten about this part of the film. One of the residents of Vernon offers this proof of God's existence:

He asks, "Do you believe that any man made you?" (Obviously, he assumes the answer is no.) "Well, then, do you believe that any man made Adam and Eve? (Again, "no" is assumed.) "Then how did we get here?"

Reply: "It just happened."

"Well, that 'It just happened' is God."
Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: \"God\" Language for PTB

That's no proof. "I don't know, therefore it must be God" is not an answer. That's like saying the Sun revolves around the Earth because it's actually the wheel of Apollo's chariot because "well, I have no evidence for any other reason!"
Old 08-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Thanks. I'm not accepting the validity of the proof but, rather, offering it to PTB as another, perhaps amusing, example of what we talk about when we talk about God.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 AM

with the...
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
and
[ QUOTE ]

""I don't know, therefore it must be God" is not an answer""

[/ QUOTE ]

In the absence of no proof for or no proof against, how do people feel about the "well I will just believe in God until proven something different(or absolute proof that God does not exist)" response.

This comment is not a debating response to any previous posts.

Just curious what people in this forum think about this thinking?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the absence of no proof for or no proof against, how do people feel about the "well I will just believe in God until proven something different(or absolute proof that God does not exist)" response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fine with it if that's what floats your boat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Are all things in the universe knowable by mankind? I have my doubts but I can't prove it either way.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fine with it if that's what floats your boat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Are all things in the universe knowable by mankind? I have my doubts but I can't prove it either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok thanks for the reply, well said. I doubt many things, I often refrain from attacking others for their beliefs because doubting them to me is not a good enough reason.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I watched Vernon, Florida, one of my favorite documentaries, for the first time in nearly twenty years. I had forgotten about this part of the film. One of the residents of Vernon offers this proof of God's existence:

He asks, "Do you believe that any man made you?" (Obviously, he assumes the answer is no.) "Well, then, do you believe that any man made Adam and Eve? (Again, "no" is assumed.) "Then how did we get here?"

Reply: "It just happened."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what to make of that.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's no proof. "I don't know, therefore it must be God" is not an answer. That's like saying the Sun revolves around the Earth because it's actually the wheel of Apollo's chariot because "well, I have no evidence for any other reason!"

[/ QUOTE ]

OK you really missed the point here.

The man in the documentary is not saying "well, since we don't know how it happened, that proves it was the work of an omniscient being who created man in his own image and is the same as the god of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel."

He is saying "Well, whatever did the creating is what I'll refer to as God," and he does not ascribe any other characteristics to this god within this statement. He is not purporting to prove the existence of God as major religions describe him.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM

sounds a little like Mr. Aquinas... and, not suprisingly, the argument is also of equal stupidity of any of the "Five Ways".