Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Set of 10\'s OOP

Literally my very first hand at the table so no reads on this particular villain.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($111.35)
Button ($77.90)
SB ($40.17)
Hero ($100)
UTG ($51.40)
MP ($44.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.50, Hero calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1.

Didn't want to re-raise with 10 10 out of position because if i get reraised big I have to fold, I'd rather see a cheap flop.

Flop: ($10) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $3</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls $12.

eureka....lightning in a bottle. Since there are two spades I decide to go for a checkraise here to try to shut everyone out. In hindsight, I think I should have led this for the size of the pot and tried to trap limpers in between...but if they wouldn't call 12, they probably woulnd't have called 9.

Turn: ($40) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls $20.

Freaking spade. I decide to lead for half the pot because it worries me. If he has the flush i'm dead and hoping for the board to pair, if he doesn't have it but is drawing half pot still gives him poor odds.

River: ($80) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, Button calls $30.

At least it's not a spade....fire out a semi-blocker/semi-value bet.

Final Pot: $140

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Set of 10\'s OOP

It looks like he only has $40 left on the river-- why bet only $30?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 AM

I find I usually get more calls if I underbet what they have slightly than putting them all in...the psychology of it and all. A lot of the time here, they'll push the rest of their stack in themselves. I was giving him the chance to do that. I think I'd have lost him if I put him all in...just my thinking.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:44 AM

Do you have any data to back that claim up or is it just instinct? I think its more likely to be true in a tournament where people cannot rebuy but, in my experience, people don't call off 3/4 of their stack on the end for less than 1/2 pot when they wouldn't have called off all of it.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 AM

leading into the raiser is my preferred oop line....when/if he reraises push....in higher games this is effective with sets on the flush b/c it look like flush draw, which u should be playing same way, since this is 100 NL i am not sure if these cats know what the board means, but if he has a big hand, like red kj, he wont most likely wont be able to contain himself and u can shove to his flop raise. BUT even 100 NL donks are afraid of the check raise, b/c it is the preferred line of the donkey and it almost always telegaphs i have a rock crusher; hence, dont do it unless u are looking for a fold, lead and push a raise.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 AM

I don't have data to support it...just something i've noticed during all my play...there is some kind of a psychological barrier that keeps them from calling all in with marginal hands....there is a better chance of him pushing all in than calling allin himself I think. I don't know how to sort my pt databases to determine if this is 100% accurate but in all the hands i've played, i'd say that i'm generally correct here.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 AM

On that board, i'm ok with a fold here, which is why I went for the checkraise, although I was hoping he'd make more of a continuation bet than he did....$3 was a weak ass bet into that pot. I have a really good but very vulnerable hand depending on what he has. I'm happy to take down the money in the pot. Also, if he does call my checkraise, i'm in a position to get more money in on the turn with a non-scary card....unfortunately I got a scary card here.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:58 AM

Pre-flop I think you have to re-raise this given that the raise came from the button and was so small. If it gets re-raised you can always fold, as it stands there are too many to the flop and TT unimproved is going to play nicer against fewer opponents.

On the flop I think its better to just lead out with a largish ( 60-70% pot size ) bet to kill pot odds immediately, only a pair of jacks beats you so far but your hand is vulnerable to both a straight or a flush draw so try to win it immediately.

The turn is an awful card, potentially completing both a gutshot straight and flush draw and putting you behind KK and JJ as well. I think you are now probably re-drawing so bet half the pot and call it a semi-bluff.

On the river I'd make a small bet, if he doesnt have the flush maybe he'll read you as looking to get a call and fold. If he calls fine, if he comes over the top then i think you fold.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Mini-raisers pre-flop make pussy bets post-flop. There's a lot of limpers - I think a pot-sized bet on the flop is good here, though the check-raise did the job just fine.

The rest seems fine. Looks like he had some weak 2-pair or maybe was holding the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with a pair. I think you can bet a little more on the river, like half-pot.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 AM

Anyone like checking the river? Overall I thought played the hand pretty well, but I have a few comments.

I agree with the guy who said raise pre-flop. The min-raise from the button could mean anything. A lot of your oppoents probabely have a couple of high cards and you're winning when you're up against just KQ or AJ, but if you are in a multiway pot with a couple of those guys then your win percentage goes way down.

Well, what if the raiser has KK, AA, QQ or JJ? Then he'll re-raise your re-raise and it's easy to get away from the hand.