Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Default What do you need to call an open raise to 17 in a live 1/2 NL game?

I generally need AK or TT or better to call or reraise. I call with any pp if the money is deep enough and there looks like there will be enough multiway action.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: What do you need to call an open raise to 17 in a live 1/2 NL game

As an indicator of strength, that bet really depends on the average bet. I know live games tend to have out-of-this-world sized opening bets, and I know $17 is not so unusual.

From a theoretical standpoint, that means you should still play stronger hands, and you want to play more hands with reverse-implied odds and less drawing hands. That means stuff like suited connectors up to QJs are a bad idea. I don't know about pocket pairs, since you should be able to get paid off nicely, and you're never really drawing with them as you are with other drawing hands post-flop; you either hit or miss on the flop.

Obviously high pocket pairs and AK/AQ are good, I don't know about AJ, but it still should be playable since this is obviously a weak game.