Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 PM

Default is this really that bad a call? (bottom set, 4-to-straight on board)

1-2NL @ foxwoods today

i'm on the button with about 160, and get dealt T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

5 players limp, i raise to 25, and get called by the BB(godawful indian guy that has been calling big raises from any position with suited cards) and ultra LAG older asian guy in the cutoff (last hand got caught betting $100 into the raiser with a gutshot)

flop ($85 in pot) -

T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

checked around, i bet 35 and both call.

turn ($190 in pot)-

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB instantly pushes for 50, LAG folds, i think it over with my cards face up for a minute and call

reasoning that i'm calling $50 into a $240 pot (slightly less than 5:1) , and he could very plausibly have two pair or *really* misplaying top pair, even though in my mind i have already given him credit for the 9....the pot size plus the abnormally large chance that i am still ahead given the awful play i have seen out of him prior urges me to call
Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: is this really that bad a call? (bottom set, 4-to-straight on board)

It would be a bad fold. You have pot odds to call even if you're 100% sure you're losing to a straight.

The problem with this hand is the flop, where you are giving anyone with a 8, 9, K, or A a very good price to draw out on you.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: is this really that bad a call? (bottom set, 4-to-straight on boar

Call is mandatory, but for Christ's sake pot the flop.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: is this really that bad a call? (bottom set, 4-to-straight on board)

i was trying to make sure that my math was right....i'm getting almost 5:1 on my money and as long as he doesnt have a higher set (something i am 100% sure of) then at worst i am a 4:1 dog, correct?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 PM

Closer to 3:1.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:14 AM

Wait, what was the racial makeup or every other player? No way I can evaluate without knowing that.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 AM

there are a lot of posters from here that play very regularly in the 1-2NL and 2-4NL game at foxwoods, a physical description can help if someone can attest to having played with them before or even having seen the hand themselves that day.

example - the LAG old asian is someone i have definitely seen multiple times before, but had never personally played with him
Old 08-12-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call is mandatory, but for Christ's sake pot the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldnt i just push if i'm going to bet the pot?

results oriented thinking on my part but - wouldnt i have been better off betting 50 on the flop instead of betting the flop? (bringing two possible players along if i fill up instead of just the nut straight that i know is calling me)
Old 08-12-2005, 02:45 PM

hah i didnt actually post my results...villian turns over AK for the flopped nut straight, so the two 9's left in the deck that would have split the pot are of no use to me, river is blank and he takes down the pot
Old 08-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Although you didnt give your opponents stack sizes, "bringing two players along" isnt your biggest priority - stacking at least one of your opponents should be your target, and this is an action flop for you.

Bet the pot on the flop, and all in on the turn.

Ojo_Rojo