Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default I\'m Immune to Caffeine

what do I do? after getting 5 shots of espresso on ice twice a day for the last 3 months, it doesn't work for me anymore. I think bumping it to 8 shots would probably be really bad for me, but I'm chronically tired despite going to bed more or less at hte same time every night and getting 7-9 hours. I need something to pick me up. red bull also doesn't work for me.

and speed and coke aren't an option
Old 08-10-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: I\'m Immune to Caffeine

Adderall?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:41 PM

Switch to decaf for 2 weeks. Really. You'd be amazed at the results when going back to caffinated.

I drink a shitload of coffee and have to give my body a break once in a while or it becomes like drinking water.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do I do? after getting 5 shots of espresso on ice twice a day for the last 3 months, it doesn't work for me anymore. I think bumping it to 8 shots would probably be really bad for me, but I'm chronically tired despite going to bed more or less at hte same time every night and getting 7-9 hours. I need something to pick me up. red bull also doesn't work for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a long time Moutain Dew addict I have been through this many times. I tend to get very tired when I get dehydrated. So I would suggest A) exercising before you go to bed to ensure a good sleep and B) drinking gatorade in the morning which has worked for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:43 PM

I found that caffeinated drinks did a better job of keeping me awake when I stopped adding whiskey to all of them.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you need to cut back.

Force yourself to go cold turkey for a few days, then begin with maybe just 2 shots twice a day. Don't let your tolerance build up that much again.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) exercising before you go to bed to ensure a good sleep

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't work for everyone. Vigorous exercise in the evening will actually prevent me from getting to sleep. I do tend to sleep well when I finally get there, though.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Adderall?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would second this idea, but unless you're prescribed it, daily usage will lead to dependency (addiction) and is definitely -EV in the long run.

I am not prescribed adderall, but use it occasionally when I have something substantial to do (paper, project, large buy-in tournament). It's definitely going to keep you awake, the risk of dependancy is the only concern.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 PM

Ugh. You're pretty screwed in the short-term. You've developed a dependency, so now all the caffeine does is make you feel normal.

I went through this while I was juggling going to University and working full-time. I was drinking crazy amounts of coffee to stay awake. What I ended up doing was taking 2 weeks off work over the Christmas holidays (and after exams were over at school), and not drinking any coffee at all. The withdrawal was absolutely horrible...blistering headaches...sleeping 12+ hours a day...feeling like crap all the time...but eventually it passed. Once I was back in school I was able to have a normal amount of coffee again in order to feel the effects of the caffeine -- but I wouldn't drink coffee unless I *really* needed it.

Oh, and I also started having heart murmurs around this time because of my massive caffeine intake. Good times.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 PM

I have a similar problem...definitely hooked on caffeine. If I "really" need to wake up, I'll drink some Alka Seltzer Morning Relief. It's a hangover cure, but it's basically aspirin plus LOTS of caffeine. I never use it more than once every couple weeks, but it's a real shot in the arm for when I need it.