Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you have called the preflop reraise ?
NO 54 64.29%
YES 30 35.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Monster or bluff?

Don't forget, there's such a thing as live poker too!

I'm going to list some basic tells. Don't think for too long -- pretend you're at the table. Is this a monster or a bluff?

Obviously you're not always right, some people use reverse tells, etc. Go with your gut.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Monster or bluff?

Biggest tell I get is the guy takes forever thinking about calling your bet, then raises. He might as well start screaming 'CALL ME I HAV DE NUTZ'!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 AM

We have a regular home game for very small stakes. One of the regs - a good friend of mine has this precise habit.

He often calls out "b0ll0x" when the river comes out, then when somebody bets into him, he tuts, tuts, tuts, shakes his head, moans, looks at his cards, and puts his hand up to his face, and THEN goes all-in.

Surprisingly - this works against many of the other players in this game. I dont think I've paid his good hand off in about 2 years though.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have a regular home game for very small stakes. One of the regs - a good friend of mine has this precise habit.

He often calls out "b0ll0x" when the river comes out, then when somebody bets into him, he tuts, tuts, tuts, shakes his head, moans, looks at his cards, and puts his hand up to his face, and THEN goes all-in.

Surprisingly - this works against many of the other players in this game. I dont think I've paid his good hand off in about 2 years though.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, they fall for this more than once?

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why poker is profitable.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM

Somebody's been flipping through Caro's book
Old 08-10-2005, 10:37 AM

I think 2 and 4 are definetly the two that are not as consistent as the others (as the poll is showing). 4 often depends on the person but whichever way it leans for them it is pretty consistent, but I do think it more often means monster against a generic person. But there are definetly people who clam up immediately once they hit a monster which kind of relates to #2 where they want to focus there attention somewhere as to not give any "tells".

The quick forcefull bet and shaking hands are very reliable against bad/average players who do not give reverse tells. I have noticed with myself that I often get shaky hands running a big bluff as well as when I have a monster. I just always slide my chips in instead of picking them up to avoid this.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:39 AM

The biggest tell I have ever seen is when a player picks his cards off the table when he is pondering to call you. It always means he will fold [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

If this player happens to be an alpha-male you can goad him into calling by simply pointing this tell out to him [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Falker
Old 08-10-2005, 10:47 AM

i bet quick and strong online at party for the very reason that I get called probably 3x as much from crappy hands than if I actually took a few seconds before betting.

Anyone else do this?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest tell I have ever seen is when a player picks his cards off the table when he is pondering to call you. It always means he will fold [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

If this player happens to be an alpha-male you can goad him into calling by simply pointing this tell out to him [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Falker

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh.. this is one of the funnier things I've ever seen when playing poker.

after one year, still, ni han. =)
Old 08-10-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody's been flipping through Caro's book

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually haven't read it, which probably makes me a fish.