Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:24 AM

Default I Can Prove that David Sklansky Will Pray

He might not pray now, and he quite possibly has never prayed, but I would be willing to bet I can think of a situation where he most definitely would pray.

David is visiting the Middle East and gets kidnapped by terrorists. He is taken to a dark, abandoned hut, blindfolded, and stripped naked.

Once in the hut his mask is removed and his tormentor takes out a very large pair of pruning shears and tells David he is going to start sniping one-half-inch at a time from a very private area if he doesn't tell him exactly what he wants to know. [Assuming of course there is enough yardage to accomodate more than a couple of snips.]

I would be willing to lay four quadrillion to one that David Sklansky IMMEDIATELY starts to pray.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: I Can Prove that David Sklansky Will Pray

You're going to lay 4 Quadrillion to one? Can I take that bet?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He might not pray now, and he quite possibly has never prayed, but I would be willing to bet I can think of a situation where he most definitely would pray.

David is visiting the Middle East and gets kidnapped by terrorists. He is taken to a dark, abandoned hut, blindfolded, and stripped naked.

Once in the hut his mask is removed and his tormentor takes out a very large pair of pruning shears and tells David he is going to start sniping one-half-inch at a time from a very private area if he doesn't tell him exactly what he wants to know. [Assuming of course there is enough yardage to accomodate more than a couple of snips.]

I would be willing to lay four quadrillion to one that David Sklansky IMMEDIATELY starts to pray.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, David I assume has been in a synagogue in his youth so he probably has prayed before, though he may not do so now.

Secondly, anyone would pray to a higher power in that situation, but it is the equivalent of 'duress' in law, and if Sklansky was freed the question is would he continue to pray?

Honestly, everyone irregardless of their creed has been in a situation where they have prayed to make what is currently hurting them stop, it's whether they continue the prayer after the event has passed that is of real interest.

Cheers,
SDM
Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 AM

I don't think I want to touch that one.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 AM

Eh, sounds like a flawed proof. "Sklansky will pray if someone holds a gun to his head and says 'pray or I'll kill you' " seems much more, how you say, "rigorous"?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 AM

Sklansky never said he doesn't believe in God. Even if he does, and he has no means of escape he might as well pray. God may exist, and if he exists he might hear him. God must be capable of saving him, and who knows he might get lucky.
This is simply Pacal's wager. Since David knows his gambling he'll probably take the +EV bet.

Sklansky praying here proves he values his member, and that's about it.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once in the hut his mask is removed and his tormentor takes out a very large pair of pruning shears and tells David he is going to start sniping one-half-inch at a time from a very private area if he doesn't tell him exactly what he wants to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t know about David, but I would not pray, I would concentrate on telling them whatever I thought they wanted to hear. Although if they asked I would quickly convert to whatever religion they wanted.

I have just returned from the Cheque Republic, and have 23.5Kz I would like to wager at four quadrillion to one. Although I would agree that it is highly unlikely that David would find himself in the given situation, but a quadrillion to one?

Erh! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] is quadrillion really a number?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 AM

Old 08-10-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t know about David, but I would not pray, I would concentrate on telling them whatever I thought they wanted to hear

[/ QUOTE ]

The real question is: Would David try to convince them they're religion is unreasonable?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 AM

He would start reading from Sklansky on Razz, everyone would fall asleep and he would escape. No snippy for david!