Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 08:27 PM

Default overpair in a 6-way pot: FPS or solid?

UTG is solid-ish (as solid as an open limper can be), rest are unknown but def. not good from the few hands I've seen. Do you like?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB
Old 08-09-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: overpair in a 6-way pot: FPS or solid?

[ QUOTE ]
SB is solid, rest are unknown but def. not good from the few hands I've seen. Do you like?

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but did you mean to provide a read of yourself as solid?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:42 PM

no, accident. i edited the op
Old 08-09-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SB is solid, rest are unknown but def. not good from the few hands I've seen. Do you like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but did you mean to provide a read of yourself as solid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna start giving reads on myself too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, it's fine if you can get BB to raise you on the turn. I usually go for bet-raise on the flop then check-raise on the turn, or bet-raise-3bet on the flop and bet bet on the other two streets.

Oh well. FPS is cute sometimes.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Worked out well, but I vote FPS.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:52 PM

I don't get the flop check at all. It makes some sense if you check raise the field on the flop, or to set up a turn check raise. Bet the flop though. Mainly, you don't want to give lone Aces and Kings a free look at the turn, and unless someone has a J, 4, or middle pocket pair, this one could get checked through.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually go for bet-raise on the flop then check-raise on the turn, or bet-raise-3bet on the flop and bet bet on the other two streets.

Oh well. FPS is cute sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually go for bet/3bet on flop and then bet bet.

My problem with that is that while I am usually forcing my opponents to make a mistake by putting in 3 SB on the flop w/ a equity disadvantage, they are getting excellent odds on the turn when I bet (first guy gets immediate odds of 11.5:1 calling my turn bet, and the others get even better odds (if 3 players called the flop for 3 bets)), making it correct to draw to 5 outers and less - most of the times, we are only going 1 bet on the turn when I'm ahead.

I was looking for a way to give hands with 5 and less outs incorrect odds to see the river.. I succeeded by giving MP poor odds. The pot is so large on the flop that I can't protect my hand - I can't give them incorrect odds to see the turn.

Do you see what I am getting at? I usually pump away when I have an equity edge on this flop, but I thought I'd try something different. Who can help me evaluate the merit of this play?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:21 PM

I think flop check sucks a nut. What are you doing if it comes back bet/raised?

What's your plan if you're capped on the turn?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:25 PM

I don't think you can protect your hand... period...

Ram and Jam...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking for a way to give hands with 5 and less outs incorrect odds to see the river

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are ahead, what kind of hands have an immediate 5 outs against you with this board? You counterfeit a lot of hand's 2 pair outs. The majority of likely hands for your opponent's here have zero, 2, or 3 immediate outs. Just figure out how to get as many bets in as possible until it's pretty clear someone has a four.

Without a paired board, I think it is difficult to protect your hand without some notion of where the bet is going to come from. In my opinion, giving up your initiative in this hand is not worth the off-chance that you might get an opportunity to confront multiple players with two bets.