Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Travelling with a laptop

Picture the situation, I/you decides to start travelling with a laptop around various european destinations (spain and other such warm/beach places - either big cities or tourist places) for 1 year, playing poker to fund my/your living expenses during the trip with plenty of backup cash in case a downswing occurs. Net connection is available in all places of the trip obviously.

You are alone for the duration of the trip as you're the only one who can afford to have a year of travel with no 9-5 income. You spend 3 months maximum at each destination.

What do you fill your time with apart from a few hours a day playing poker?

It seems this dream is quite popular with many people, yet wouldn't the being alone factor make it a nightmare trip? In an unfamiliar place what would you do to fill your time and/or meet people who have as much leisure time as you do? Would you really be happy sitting on beaches and in an apartment day in day out with an odd trip to a 'sight seeing' area on your own?

Help me crush the dream by stating how awful you think it would be, or would it really be the trip of a lifetime? I can't make my mind up.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Travelling with a laptop

[ QUOTE ]
What do you fill your time with apart from a few hours a day playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you're talking about travelling around europe. if the only thing you can think of to do in your time there is play online poker, you have serious problems.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:15 PM

Why the hate? OP clearly states that he would be playing poker to "fund" said trip (with additional $$ in case he ran bad).

I think it's a great idea! Of course, it depends on your personality and ability to do it solo.

As for things to do - research some hobbies of yurs before making the trip out and find places (clubs, organizations etc...) that accomodate these hobbies. Also, you'd be surprised how many people are out and about at supposed "working hours". If you are even a little bit outgoing, you can make lots of friends (especially with a story like "I am traveling the world for the next year and funding it by playing online poker").

Yes. This idea is good.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM

If I didn't have kids I would go right now. I think I will spend a few weeks in London as soon as schools gets back in though.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the hate? OP clearly states that he would be playing poker to "fund" said trip (with additional $$ in case he ran bad).

I think it's a great idea! Of course, it depends on your personality and ability to do it solo.

As for things to do - research some hobbies of yurs before making the trip out and find places (clubs, organizations etc...) that accomodate these hobbies. Also, you'd be surprised how many people are out and about at supposed "working hours". If you are even a little bit outgoing, you can make lots of friends (especially with a story like "I am traveling the world for the next year and funding it by playing online poker").

Yes. This idea is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

what hate? fwiw i think if he can pull it off it's a great idea. i was just saying that if you can't find anything to do in europe when you're not playing poker, you have serious problems.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:21 PM

Point taken.

<font color="white"> I just felt bad that the guys first post was shot down so quickly. </font>
Old 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM

i think it's best to travel alone. you get to meet a lot more people that way, forces you out of your bubble.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:29 PM

I'll only say this once - stay off the drugs.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:29 PM

pick up a hot foriegn chick along the way. bang her a few times a day. that uses most of your time.

kane knows.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:30 PM

You and theBruiser should do this together, he posted the exact same message as this not long ago and still hasn't had the balls to do it.