Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think online NL games have gotten easier or harder to beat over the last year?
Stayed the Same 24 32.43%
Harder 36 48.65%
Easier 14 18.92%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Waiting for the Blinds before Sitting Out

This has probably been asked before (maybe even by me), but I am wondering how many of you wait for the Blinds to come back around to you before sitting out or leaving the table altogether.

The reason I ask is that I now have a newborn in the house and, although my wife is home to help, she will need my assistance from time to time while I'm playing.

So to all you mathematical geniuses out there, how much would I be losing in the long-run if an emergency comes up that requires me to sit out immediately? Since I have already paid for the orbit that I am now sitting out mid-way through (sometimes even on the Button [OMFG that would suck!], I assume I am losing expectation from the hands owed me.

I figure there are a lot of ins, a lot of outs and a lot of what-have-yous involved, but there must be some average loss over time that can be figured out.

I guess this would also apply to a bad table. Are you better off leaving immediately once you determine the table to suck or should you still wait for the Blinds? I am assuming the latter.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Waiting for the Blinds before Sitting Out

You can figure out your expectation per hand per position in the position tab in pokertracker and go from there.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:17 PM

I always wait for the blinds before sitting out. One exception would be if I have to make a bathroom run, and I'm sitting out on three tables and only have a couple of hands on the fourth. But I take care of these things before my sessions, and the possibility may only come up like once a month maybe.

Even if the table is bad, you can always tighten up and play only premium hands for the rest of the orbit. It costs you nothing to wait for one of these if the alternative is sitting out.

If you want to see what you are losing, just go to the Position Stats tab in PT, and add up the BB Won per hand for each position remaining. My guess is that no amount can be worth pissing off the wife though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 03:20 PM

if you're playing low stakes, it won't be enough to matter. if you're playing high stakes, use 1/5th of a buyin to get a laptop

if you're playing the middle stakes, sell your baby on the black market and buy one

check the software board, maybe there's a program to help you out
Old 08-06-2005, 03:44 PM

I wait as long as my hands have a positive expectation. that is, if I'm playing well and I'm only stopping because it's time to go to dinner, or to party, or to play some ultimate, then yes I always wait.

if I start to tilt, or I'm playing like crap, or my image sucks and I can't catch cards to adjust, then why play the additional hands with additional -EV on top of the sunk cost of the blinds.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:20 PM

I unclick "auto post" on all tables when I get the button, then shut them down as they come around. Sometimes I'll dump out of the last one a hand or two early.

I never had any, but I'd think a newborn would be worth a few bets of missed opportunity no matter what.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:27 PM

No big deal to sit out a hand or two early. Most your value comes from the blinds themselves and late position.

If you leave on the buttom, maybe you can get back after missing a few hands and not loose all the hands.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

Constant issue in our household. I think my wife has a secret monitor set up - so that she can see that I just paid the blinds and then say "Are you going to put the boys to bed?" One time, after serious debate, I tried to explain to her the whole idea of expectation per hand, etc. I showed her that I, on average, make $.13 per hand - so she goes into her drawer, gets $1.04 in change, dumps it on my lap and says - Here - now will you put the kids to bed?

After that incident, I find myself a little more proactive when it is around 8:30-9:00 and it is getting close to blind time.

Good luck with the new born +EV
Old 08-06-2005, 05:36 PM

I always wait for the blinds. If I didn't play 6-max, there's no doubt in my mind that I would have soiled my pants multiple times. I drink a lot of water while I play.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time, after serious debate, I tried to explain to her the whole idea of expectation per hand, etc. I showed her that I, on average, make $.13 per hand - so she goes into her drawer, gets $1.04 in change, dumps it on my lap and says - Here - now will you put the kids to bed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wife is very wise.