Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 01:12 AM

Default After 5 bad beat OTMs in 6 games... (wimpy tilt)

This hand occurred after losing on the bubble with pair over pair or dominating aces 5 times in 6 games.

After folding this, I realize I need to shut it down for the day... You can't play good poker when you EXPECT to lose with the better hand.

I figured that with me as the bigstack with two smallish stacks, I gave villain credit for a stronger hand since he was pushing UTG when he didn't have to. Can this fold be justified since I continued to steal blinds myself after this hand with my large stack? Still, I felt ashamed for folding, since part of the reason I folded (honestly) was that I was expecting to lose the race.

Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 5: Gypo255 ( $1495 )
Seat 6: HERO ( $3265 )
Seat 7: MrFunbags ( $2195 )
Seat 8: trg49 ( $1045 )

Blinds(150/300)

Dealt to HERO [ Ad Ks ]
MrFunbags is all-In [2195]
trg49 folds.
Gypo255 folds.

HERO will be using his time bank for this hand.
HERO folds.
MrFunbags does not show cards.
MrFunbags wins 2645 chips

I felt dirty after this hand. Ever just want an ITM so bad that you've made a wuss play like this?

Flames are not necessary... but go ahead anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: After 5 bad beat OTMs in 6 games... (wimpy tilt)

I don't hate the fold, and it's pretty close either way. If you fold this, he'll have over 2600 and you'll be pushing into his small/big blind which is not going to be pleasant either. You're not in a good enough position to steal freely from the other short stacks anyways, so I might call here. But with 10bb, I think folding might be more correct.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you need QQ+ here to call against a reasoable utg. With those stakes, you have more than double both short stacks with 10bb.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:59 AM

Thanks Isura. I thought it was close, especially since he raised from UTG when he could have just sat back and played it safe to get ITM. I does feel a little weak folding here, but I didn't want to become the shortstack. Losing every freaking race I've been in today (or so it feels) shouldn't have come into my mind, but damn, I'm human.

BTW, just had my 2nd straight 2nd place finish. Had the guy outchipped 7:1 at various points, all-in with KT, AJ, etc... can't buy a win right now. Oh well, at least I've got an ITM streak going again. Beggers can't be choosers. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Damn you Citanul and you're "how are you running post"! Ever since I responded to that one, I've been Phil Hellmuth... If it wasn't for luck in these damn tournaments, I'd win every one! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 02:20 AM

THe thing is, you absolutely don't want a race here. I'd only consider calling if villain's push range is such that I will be a significant favorite against atleast 1/2 of his push hands. Getting called and being in a race is much different than calling knowing it's a race. Yeah, the beat's suck. I'm experiencing my first real bad run at the 33s now. Keep at it, correct play will get the money.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THe thing is, you absolutely don't want a race here. I'd only consider calling if villain's push range is such that I will be a significant favorite against atleast 1/2 of his push hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thinking. I'd really hate to run into a PP here.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:34 AM

after only 5 bb otms in 6 games, i usually just prepare for the next week of bb ootms.

citanul
Old 08-06-2005, 04:24 AM

This isn't close at all, its a very very clear call. We have the UTG player outchipped by 1100. Thats the reason this is a clear call. If it were the opposite, it might be a clear fold.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:25 AM

Holy @@^@$#^&#$& I dont have SNG powertools on my new laptop. Time to beg eastbay for an extra code, as for some reason I installed it on my broke ass old laptop.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:37 AM

I'd love to hear what the program says about the hand... but I think due to the fact that UTG didn't have to gamble (due to relative stacksizes) coupled with the fact that the chipleader was in the BB, he would have to be put on a very tight range of hands.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:38 AM

It's an easy call, even if he's pushing around top 15%