Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Did I misplay the nuts when I had them?

Hi, I'm hoping to get some opinions on a hand I played in a $20 SNG recently. I had Ac9c. There were two limpers in front of me and I called also. I had last position and there were two other people in the hand. So the flop comes 4c 8c 10c. I hit the nut flush. At this point the pot is about 100. The first guy leads out for 100, the second guy calls, and I also just call. The turn then comes Kc and it gets checked around.

Did I make a mistake here giving a free card? I have the nuts at this point so should I make a bet? If so, what percentage of the pot should it be?

Anyways river comes 4s (there are 2 4's out there now). First guy bets about 50% of pot, the 2nd guy folds. I minraise; he re-raises all in, and I call. He had pocket 8's so his full house beat my flush.

I think my play on the flop was fine and I was hoping they would bet again on the turn but they didn't. Should I have bet that turn?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Did I misplay the nuts when I had them?

What were the stack sizes?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:47 AM

Sorry I should have mentioned that. It was at the beginning so I had about 750ish. The guy who made the set had about 1000. Blinds were 15/30, level 2, at partypoker.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I should have mentioned that. It was at the beginning so I had about 750ish. The guy who made the set had about 1000. Blinds were 15/30, level 2, at partypoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very scary board and you have no real way to put your opponent on a set. Honestly I don't mind checking behind the turn, nor do I mind betting here. I think it comes down do "do I think my opponents will pay me off with a worse hand like Qc or a set/two pair or even worse if I bet now", which is really hard to judge.

Your big mistake in this hand, though, is raising the river. With 4 clubs on the board, you're not going to get a lot of action from worse than a full house except maybe the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] probably bets the turn so you can rule it out a lot of the time.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:14 AM

Yea I agree, the river was definetly a mistake.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:55 AM

you're probably not going to get much action on the turn if you bet.

i would have checked on turn, and place a small bet on river unless a scare card hits.

and in your case, it did come. in that situation, i would have just called a bet.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways river comes 4s (there are 2 4's out there now). First guy bets about 50% of pot, the 2nd guy folds. I minraise; he re-raises all in, and I call. He had pocket 8's so his full house beat my flush.

I think my play on the flop was fine and I was hoping they would bet again on the turn but they didn't. Should I have bet that turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

In hindsight, yes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In hindsight, yes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but the important point is that just because you made what is at worst a minor mistake on the turn doesn't mean you should compound the mistake by giving your entire stack to a boat. Just call river.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 PM

I hate slow playing anything but top FH or better. This sh!t always happens so I always bet. He may still call and beat you, but at least you would have played it correctly, IMO. Bet 3xbb on flop, if he calls bet at least 1/2 pot on turn and rvr. I don't like your raise on the flop... if you raise and he is beaten... he will fold, if he has you beaten you cost your self more money, therefore no benefit to you by raising.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your raise on the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't raise the flop. Do you mean the river?

Also do you guys think I should have folded after I was re-raised all-in. I would have been left with 500-600 chips. The pots odds were pretty favorable at that point for a call even though I thought there was a good chance I was beaten. Should I have layed it down?